Author Topic: Alembic #001 Rick Turner rennovation  (Read 1298 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Alembic #001 Rick Turner rennovation
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 05:31:40 AM »
Mods - just realized this morning I got the year wrong... I did know the Casady bass was 72-001, but somehow slipped...  ::)

Could you please edit my post above to reflect the correct year?   ;)

lembic76450

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 07:16:28 AM »
Do I have the wrong memory about this bass?  I thought that it belonged to
someone in the Club who wished to remain anonymous.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 09:49:36 AM »
Kenn - That's my recollection as well.

David Houck

• club
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 05:43:21 PM »
I'm not a facebookie and haven't seen the article story post (whatever stuff on facebook is called) related to this instrument.  Unless, the owner was revealed therein, I'm thinking that the owner is still, and wishes to continue to be, anonymous.

Gregory; edits made as requested.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 06:31:11 PM »
I'm not a facebookie and haven't seen the article story post (whatever stuff on facebook is called) related to this instrument.  Unless, the owner was revealed therein, I'm thinking that the owner is still, and wishes to continue to be, anonymous.

Gregory; edits made as requested.

Thanks Mod Dave.   Ackuracy counts, you know. ;)

Yeah, I'm not on FB either, and apparently you have to be to see stuff on RT's personal page, so maybe there is more to the project than the snip posted at the top.

Whatever happens, I'm just glad to hear the Casady bass is still around  and making music. I was just telling someone yesterday, how it blows me away to think about the continuity - that's Alembic #1... and I have #14588. How cool is that!?  8)

CaseyVancouver

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2017, 09:03:14 PM »
I hope that Mica and crew do something amazingly special for Alembic number 15,000!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 11:23:27 AM »
I hope that Mica and crew do something amazingly special for Alembic number 15,000!

...or 50th Anniversary Models?   ;D

adriaan

• club
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 12:31:11 PM »
Never anything but amazingly special, I'd say.

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2017, 03:26:08 PM »
Never anything but amazingly special, I'd say.

^^^^
Yes.  My 84 Distillate, both amazing and special.  As well as dreamy.  And eloquent. And a bunch of other pleasant adjectives.
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

sonofa_lembic

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2017, 11:25:15 PM »
Don't let Rick Turner touch that thing.  It will end up way worse than it is now.  Anything but Ron's electronics in there is blasphemy.  Almost 50 years on, and Rick is still doing sloppy work.  Leave it be, or have Alembic restore it.  Makes me sick to think of a restoration that is not a true restoration, but a distortion.  Without Alembic electronics in it, it is just a bizarre woodworking project with a crap circuit in it that has no relevance to its amazing and unique provenance.  If de-Alembic'd, whatever notes are played on it will be nothing like what came out of it in 1972.  How is that a true restoration?

Paul Reside

• I'm New Here
« Reply #25 on: January 19, 2018, 01:40:55 PM »
I really don't think denigrating Ricks work and calling it sloppy is appropriate in this post. I agree getting it back to original condition would be nice but what exactly would be original condition?

bigredbass

• club
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2018, 10:37:36 PM »
' . . . but what exactly would be the original condition?' could easily be answered by the people who built it, who are still around and doing great work every day.  I'm sure between Ron and Susan this would be an easy answer, and a correct restoration to whatever level is desired.  Other people could do other things, but for us, it needs to 'come home' to be done right by the people who built it.  And of course, the current owner has every right to have the work done by whomever he chooses.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:40:12 PM by bigredbass »

moongerm

• club
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #27 on: Yesterday at 04:50:22 AM »
Pennywise and a pound ..........   or maybe not. I think it will be a good thing all around. I bet down the road it will make its way back to Alembic for restoration. Mr Turner works his craft then the wonderful folks at Alembic add their magic later. Eventually the customer will be completely satisfied and will have a dramatic story to tell.  Adding any non-Alembic electronics to any Alembic is not the smartest move, even if it is temporary.     :o
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 03:27:28 PM by moongerm »

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 08:20:27 AM »
I feel exactly the same as I did when this thread started up last year... I'm glad the first-born Alembic is being restored and sorry both 'parents' aren't involved in it. I just wish there was some way to get updates without being on Facebook.  :(

Anybody heard how (or if) it's going? RT hasn't posted anything on his blog about it. (although there was a fascinating tale of an earlier peanut guitar that became Jerry Garcia's)