Author Topic: Shockra reunion at the Fox Theatre in Boulder 12/9/17  (Read 176 times)

edwin

• club
Shockra reunion at the Fox Theatre in Boulder 12/9/17
« on: September 11, 2017, 04:39:12 PM »
My band from the early 90s, Shockra, is doing a reunion show. We were part of the jamband scene before it was called that, playing shows with Phish, Aquarium Rescue Unit, Widespread Panic, etc. I was hoping to be able to do more than this one off, maybe even a West Coast run, but first things first.

Here's a link to our album, ca. 1991 (please don't publish this link).

https://www.dropbox.com/s/2amgrcw9doyowfi/Garuda%27s%20Groove.zip?dl=0

http://www.foxtheatre.com/event/1538108-shockra-return-underground-boulder/

David Houck

• club
Re: Shockra reunion at the Fox Theatre in Boulder 12/9/17
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2017, 05:14:02 PM »
I think I recall seeing some youtube video of Shockra some years back.

Ah; found some.  This is some great stuff!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 06:40:29 PM by David Houck »

acoustic1

« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2017, 05:47:38 PM »
WOW David !!

Your not kidding, had to listen to it twice!!!

Edwin all the best to you , amazing music!!!
« Last Edit: September 11, 2017, 05:54:38 PM by acoustic1 »

edwin

• club
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2017, 06:00:11 PM »
Geez, that's a rough video! Better stuff to come.

musashi

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017, 02:39:18 AM »
Supercool, Edwin.  Super Cool.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2017, 05:45:43 AM »
Like what I'm hearing. Good stuff.

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2017, 02:03:05 PM »
I listened to the whole thing, true not the best recording, but the energy was great!  Loved one of the comments that gave Edwin props for being an 'unsung bass hero'.  Have to admit, on one of my trips out to Denver I was "on the list" for seeing Shakedown Street, I knew Edwin from here and correspondence with him got me in to the gig with my friend Kevin.

I don't know much about Edwin except he owns an Alembic and hangs out here.  We met before the show, he was gracious and allowed me to play his Series II (?) for a bit, as many of you know, to untrained hands the controls can be daunting... i noodled briefly, thanked him and sat at the bar with Kevin.

The show started and my jaw dropped, Kevin (who didn't know the Dead very well) was also awestruck.  Although I am biased towards the low end - Edwin carried that band through every song, his groove, tone, feel were all spot on.  We left very happy and I believe the very next day Kevin went out and bought some tie-dyed clothing!!!  So I can attest that Edwin, is an incredible bassist, who is kind and humble, a very admirable person.

A final thought in the Shockra show, I was at work actually doing work stuff and the YouTube was running in the background, as it 'paged' through the videos it had one that was the camera guy just walking around talking to people... I was just listening to the audio and it was pretty funny being a voyeur at a reception of some random couple!
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

edwin

• club
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2017, 08:40:14 PM »
You can see my wife in that morning-after video (she's Dawn who gets grief for not facing the camera) back when she was my girlfriend of a couple years. I treasure that video just for that (just celebrated the 27th anniversary of our meeting).

Another funny story is that the wedding happened in western Connecticut out in the country. We set up our PA and just tuning it up, we drew the police from three towns over. Luckily the bride's dad satisfied them that it wasn't going to go all night and we'd all behave.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2017, 02:44:22 PM »
Another funny story is that the wedding happened in western Connecticut out in the country. We set up our PA and just tuning it up, we drew the police from three towns over. Luckily the bride's dad satisfied them that it wasn't going to go all night and we'd all behave.

That reminds me of the band I was in back in my 20's. We were in a rural area south of the town of Batavia, Il about 500' from the Fox River.  During the summer we would setup on the back porch of the house where we rehearsed. The sound would travel up the river valley and before long we would see a line of cars parked on the road the passed along the back of the lot. Never saw the police though. I suspect the town PD knew we were about six miles past the city limits and it wasn't worth pursuing.

David Houck

• club
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2017, 04:04:42 PM »
Paul; thanks for the review of the Shakedown show!