Author Topic: Geepee's dad checking in.  (Read 597 times)

Phil P

Re: Geepee's dad checking in.
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2017, 12:36:42 PM »
Once again, thanks all.

Thoroughly enjoying playing it. However I missed the versatility of the series 2 electronics....so I've altered it. :)
On/off switch, pan, master vol and CVQ is a lovely control set.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2017, 05:38:05 PM »
Pretty cool, Phil.  Is the on/off switch a standby switch?

StephenR

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2017, 05:44:19 PM »
Pretty cool, Phil.  Is the on/off switch a standby switch?

Pretty sure the on/off switch is for the LEDs.  Beautiful bass!

Phil P

« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2017, 02:36:43 AM »
The switch is standby for the pickups. The pot at the right of the picture is a dimmer for the fretboard LEDs

markman

• club
« Reply #19 on: October 06, 2017, 06:37:09 AM »
I'm very interested in how to do such a modification, especially in having a pan and master volume. I can't get used to the two volumes. I have pan and vol on all other basses. For me, it's much simpler to handle. Would you like to share, how you did it?
Beautiful bass, btw.

Phil P

« Reply #20 on: October 06, 2017, 11:02:13 AM »
It came with Pan and master volume so I'm not responsible for that.

Perhaps the first thing to say is, before considering diving into the control cavity you must be 100% sure your soldering skills are up to the task. Have a look in your other basses. They have the wiring already to copy by the sound of it. Check the resistance of the installed potentiometers is correct for pan and master. A multimeter will do it. I don't know offhand what they should be.
If you need to ask how to rewire the pots you need to consider if your skills are up to the task. 
Butchering an Alembic is not progress.

It doesn't look complex to change from 2 volumes to pan and master though, and I do find it an excellent control set. Interesting to note that Direwolf got a mod the other way when Jeff Flax sent it back to Alembic for its refinish. It now has 2 volumes instead of the original pan and master. George finds that works for him.

Changing the filter switches to CVQ is not too difficult on a series 1 bass and just needs the right components substituting - and thats the difficulty. The right value clarostat with the right bush length, shaft diameter and the right control knobs take some finding. In fact finding the pots was impossible. You could get them made to order but easier to get them from Alembic.
If you get the pots from Mica  I'm sure she will furnish the connection details - even though is is fairly obvious.

I couldn't get the correct clarostats here in the UK. The substitutes I got were close but required cutting wood, silver loaded paint and an 'electronic' fix to arrive at the correct resistance for the circuit. It works as it should - and the switches can go back in if required but I wouldn't recommend it unless your skills are highly developed.

I think Mica will supply the pots, and at a reasonable cost. Ask her. I just didn't want to wait.
« Last Edit: October 06, 2017, 11:06:27 AM by Phil P »

edwin

• club
« Reply #21 on: November 09, 2017, 04:28:07 PM »
I spec'ed the master/vol pan for this bass. It came like it from the factory and works extremely well.