Author Topic: RECORD BREAKING HEAT IN CALIFORNIA  (Read 141 times)

sonicus

• club
RECORD BREAKING HEAT IN CALIFORNIA
« on: September 02, 2017, 03:24:00 AM »
I heard on the news today of all the heat records that were set on Friday Sept 1st ! Some of the highest temperatures ever recorded in some areas since temperatures have been recorded . San Francisco was 106 F .  I heard that it was 110 F in Santa Rosa by the " Mothership" !    I am a bit concerned for everyone there as well . I hope that everyone is safe and getting through this as safe as possible . I myself have respiratory issues and am feeling somewhat effected as well with the associated poor air quality that we are experiencing  in my locality . Be safe everyone , try to stay cool and drink plenty of water . Hugs all around .
« Last Edit: September 02, 2017, 08:50:40 AM by sonicus »

David Houck

• club
Re: RECORD BREAKING HEAT IN CALIFORNIA
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 05:10:21 AM »
California's power grid is much more stable than it was in the old Enron days; so hopefully everyone's air conditioning will stay on.

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2017, 06:26:36 AM »
Global Weirding- it's real.

I know the west coast group are cool cats, as Wolf said- stay hydrated.

And maybe share some warmth, it was 41 yesterday morning here, we have trees turning color already.... Global Weirding- it's real.
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

StephenR

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #3 on: September 02, 2017, 08:26:58 AM »
Luckily we had made reservations months ago to stay in Ft. Bragg this weekend. Supposed to be only 80 degrees up there. It has been awful in Oakland the last two days, 104 yesterday, and as Wolf pointed out the air quality is severely compromised by smoke from various fires around the state.

Hope everyone in the affected areas can stay as cool as possible and most importantly... hydrated!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 08:50:44 AM »
Got so bloomin' cold here last night, I had to dig out blankets. Brr.  ::)

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 09:25:54 AM »
California's power grid is much more stable than it was in the old Enron days; so hopefully everyone's air conditioning will stay on.

Problem with the Bay Area is - lots of us (most?) don't have air conditioning because in the past you didn't need it! My house (in Oakland) was 95 when we got home around 8 pm last night - got it down to about 88 by the time we went to sleep, it got down to 78 overnight, but it's supposed to be back to 100 today?!!

Never heard that before - love it! Well, I hate it, but it seems to be pretty accurate.

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 11:18:45 AM »
I have arranged for the temp to go down 15 degrees tomorrow for our party!  Lol

Bill, tgo

keith_h

• club
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2017, 12:58:53 PM »

Problem with the Bay Area is - lots of us (most?) don't have air conditioning because in the past you didn't need it! My house (in Oakland) was 95 when we got home around 8 pm last night - got it down to about 88 by the time we went to sleep, it got down to 78 overnight, but it's supposed to be back to 100 today?!!

Never heard that before - love it! Well, I hate it, but it seems to be pretty accurate.

We didn't have A/C when we lived in the Madrone area in the Coyote Valley. As you say we didn't really need it. It would get cool enough at night do get the house down into the 60's and we would then close it up in the morning. By 6 or 7 PM the shadow of the coast range would envelope our house and we would open the windows to repeat the cycle. When we moved to the Central Valley however A/C became mandatory. Not only was high 90's and low 100's normal all of the irrigation raised the relative humidity. It wasn't up to southern standards but more than enough to make it downright unpleasant.

David Houck

• club
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2017, 04:10:15 PM »
Here outside Asheville, my house doesn't have AC either; so I can see how in the Bay area's normally mild climate there would be many houses there without AC as well.

tbrannon

• club
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2017, 04:31:20 PM »
108 degrees here in Southwest Riverside County. I think our daytime low for the last 9 days has been 103. That's not unusual for this time of year around here though.