Author Topic: Hurricane Harvey  (Read 165 times)

smokin_dave

• club
  • Advanced Member
Hurricane Harvey
« on: August 27, 2017, 05:38:30 PM »
I've seen more than I can take watching the news feed about Harvey doing it's nasty thing in Texas.
So I took to social media to start fund raising efforts and to contact local clubs to host the plethora of
bands I performed with over the years here in Indy to raise some much needed coin for the Red Cross.

Never really have done this before and I need some guidance from some more knowledgeable people
who have experience and organizational skills with fund raising but it needs to be done.Ill make sure it gets done.I can't count the many benefits [size=78%]I've played in all of my years of playing in bands.I'm a veteran in that area of fund raising. [/size]

And to any members of the Alembic family who are being affected by this devastation,we are with you in spirit ,
hang in there and Godspeed.

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
Re: Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2017, 06:22:42 AM »
Can't imagine how it must feel... like purgatory but wet.  Our TV died 3 weeks ago (I am actually ok without it). See some news feeds on the WWW.

Hang in there,  warm and dry thoughts of safety for any friends and family down there.
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2017, 07:02:35 AM »
Man that's a tough scene down there... y'all hang in there.  :(

acoustic1

« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2017, 11:06:15 AM »
Prayers are with them for Strength , Courage, Resolve, so that they may Build again!!!

sonicus

• club
« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2017, 03:09:28 AM »
I send my love and hopes for a recovery in Texas . My heart goes out to all of you over there through this difficult time . 

tx196059

• club
« Reply #5 on: September 02, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »
Greetings from Houston! Thanks for all the well wishes, and desire to start up fund raisers. Me and my immediate family were spared, but we are surrounded by those less fortunate. I have been helping around my neighborhood that lost over 50% of the homes. I was shocked to find out that last weekend while the rain pounded my roof, the banks of the San Jacinto river, which is 1.5 miles from my home normally, came to within a 1,000 feet as the waters rose from 42' normal elevation to 70'. Because Houston is relatively flat, that is a tremendous amount.

It has been a real gut check these last few days, looking at kids in my neighborhood staring at their muddy bikes, toys, stuffed animals, and new school clothes, all being piled up in front of their homes with the rest of the family's things. And talking to the parents, who did not have flood insurance, wondering what is going to happen next, after the bulldozers and dump trucks haul everything away. Nobody could conceive that much water. The streets now look like toboggan trails, with trash piled high on both sides. Good news, nobody got hurt!

The local, state, and federal government were all in place, and talking to each other before Harvey arrived, which was great! The director of FEMA was here with the mayor, on TV, getting people ready to file their claims before the storm came. There were victims who had money direct deposited into their checking accounts for food and medicine before the rain stopped, because they had everything filled out already. We also have large peacekeeping and protection forces in place, as well as a lot of big construction equipment everywhere.

A local sports celebrity and community activist, JJ Watt, has done an outstanding job of raising money.

https://www.youcaring.com/victimsofhurricaneharvey-915053

I donated to this fund, because 100% of the money goes directly to the victims. There is a request from the website provider for an optional tip, because they do not receive any money from contributions. Since it is a direct charity, food, clothing, etc are getting where it is needed fast! I saw this first hand.

Thanks again everybody, and stay cool in California to. Cheers!

Joe

David Houck

• club
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2017, 04:26:04 PM »
Glad to hear you are safe.  It is heart-breaking.  But it is also good to see people helping each other.

I have friends who were impacted by Katrina.  The healing can take a long time.