Author Topic: Local Guitar tech to install Q switch?  (Read 465 times)

geepee

Re: Local Guitar tech to install Q switch?
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2017, 02:50:25 AM »
 A 2 way switch is pretty limiting so I'd go for an upgrade. It's a very simple mod for a luthier to substitute the 3 way, complete with caps and resistors, that Alembic supply.

Wandering off topic a bit.

Direwolf has 2 position q switches and sounds pretty dark even with the Q on.  I was going to upgrade it to 3 position for the extra db. Looking at the filter circuit design it's not too difficult to increase the amount of Q and make it constantly variable with a pot.  No drilling needed and a totally reversible mod. I did a test rig which verified it works and I can push the Q to 15db which really makes it sparkle.  A bit too much actually but it's totally configurable. 12db is plenty.

Question is would it be heresy to put CVQ on a custom signature bass?
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 08:03:31 AM by geepee »

adriaan

• club
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2017, 10:48:25 AM »
I guess there may be tolerances at stake as to why Alembic will not do CVQ on anything but Series electronics. There is certainly one Spoiler with CVQs out there - the 8 string in all-black with the dragon fingerboard inlay - but all requests since have been answered with a no-go.

geepee

« Reply #17 on: September 03, 2017, 04:16:52 AM »
Thanks Adriaan. I read up some more on this and came across the thread where Mica said Ron would not sanction CVQ on anything less than a series 2. I can see why.
Direwolf is converted to CVQ and it works a treat, but out of respect for Alembic, I'll keep the details to myself.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2017, 10:05:34 AM »
Interesting.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!