Author Topic: Eclipse 2017  (Read 404 times)

rv_bass

• club
Eclipse 2017
« on: August 21, 2017, 02:25:01 PM »
View from Boston...photos taken with an iPhone through a small telescope with filter (I have a feeling Ron has much better shots!)   :)

Note the sun spots on the right side in the second photo..

mica

• alembic
Re: Eclipse 2017
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2017, 02:52:32 PM »
We had great plans today - but, fog!

Thanks for sharing these!

StephenR

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 03:45:35 PM »
Thanks for the pics!

It was foggy here in Oakland so I tried driving out to Walnut Creek which turned out to be a total waste of time. I got stuck in awful traffic. There were people who just stopped on the shoulders along 24 hoping the sun would break through making a bumper to bumper traffic situation worse. I finally managed to get off the highway and headed back home before the traffic in that direction got bad, too.
« Last Edit: August 21, 2017, 03:47:44 PM by StephenR »

RobBottom69

« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2017, 04:02:47 PM »
I work in Redwood City so the weather was pretty good. A few people had the glasses and the R&D dept had sheets that allowed you to look at the sun. I like how it gets a little darker and eerie  :D

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2017, 04:27:55 PM »
...as seen from Southwest Virginia... I just put a welding shield over the camera lens of my cellular phone. We had cloud cover too, but at least got a peek of the partial eclipse.  :)

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2017, 05:56:43 PM »
We had about 85% coverage up here, got to see it a lady at work shared her glasses (left my welding helmet at home - doh). Cool thin was they forecasted 94% cloud cover for the day...  man nature decided she would let us peek.

Very neato.
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

cozmik_cowboy

• club
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 06:23:57 PM »
We're about 300 miles from totality; it was competely overcast all day & there was, for all intents & purposes, nothing.  Not even particularly dark.

Peter
"Don't take life so serious; it ain't no ways permanent"

Pogo

gtrguy

• club
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 07:56:39 PM »
It was light, then it slowly got quite dark. A plane exactly crossed the sun/moon at it's darkest point overhead at my house. making a 'null' sign, with a beautiful contrail. Then it quickly got light again.

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2017, 07:31:43 AM »
Here, a bit north of Atlanta, GA, we had very good weather, about 15-20% big white puffy clouds, all the rest beautiful blue sky, and I have to say - while we got 97% totality, it was still bright enough out that no headlights would be needed to drive.  Pretty neat, though!!

smokin_dave

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2017, 02:09:33 PM »
Yeah.Quite a show.I think it was 97% coverage here in Indy and I was able to slap on a welders helmet to watch at it's peak.In 7 years were having a total eclipse running SW to NE right through Indianapolis.I'm taking reservations at my house right now for 2K for out of town eclipse viewers.HAHA.Or a gently used Alembic will suffice.HOHO. 8)

David Houck

• club
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2017, 06:11:51 PM »
I drove about two and a half hours away, to a point very near the center of the track.  Hiked up the Appalachian Trail about two miles to a rocky outcropping on a ridge top, where maybe three dozen other folks had also ventured.  100% totality for three minutes.  Absolutely wonderful experience.  Hiked back down the trail to the car, where it took about five hours to drive back home; a drive which was very much worth it.  Just absolutely wonderful.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2017, 06:14:24 PM by David Houck »

bigredbass

• club
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2017, 10:45:39 PM »
Here in Nashville we were in the Path of Totality (I can't decide if that sounds like an early RUSH album title, or some nuclear war term . . . . .  ), and they had lots and lots of parties and gatherings around town, from the Zoo to most every club downtown.  Dead center of the P of T was a bit north of here, where NASA was ensconced, along with visitors from literally around the world, from Brazilians to Japanese, you name it.

The local gendarmerie were warning people NOT to stop along the Interstates to watch (3 of them cross here) . . . . . so I just decided me and Shirley and the Weber grill would watch it from my back deck, where around 1:30PM the sun is right overhead, visible even thru smoke from the grill !

It began at 11:58 and by 12:58 it was noticeably darkening outside:  Different from a setting sun in that the color temperature never changed (in other words as it dimmed, it looked exactly the same color of light, dimming down as if you kept adding neutral density filters).  Right before Totality (there we go again . . . . ) you could see Jupiter and Venus pop out of a dusky sky, and just as it went total, the bright ring around the Moon vanished for a second and then, wham, the corona appeared instantly, reminded me of how they'd strike an arc to start a big spotlight like a Super Trooper.  Lasted here for just over two minutes, and even with the naked eye you could see solar flares looping up and back into the Sun.  Amazingly, I did not see the 'worm shadows', but I did see the 360-degree sunset effect.  Over the next hour-thirty it all reversed and by 3PM or so it was a normal day.

It was something I'd always wanted to see, and I was very glad I stayed home from work to view it.  Not one to get all metaphysical about it, but it was an astounding display of mathematics and celestial mechanics.  Even the NASA people were amazed that the track they predicted and the time line they had posited came to pass exactly as calculated.  I'm sure by now there must be a program to figure this, but amazing to imagine 100 years ago with guys at blackboards for weeks.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #12 on: August 24, 2017, 07:18:43 AM »
Sharing a cool picture I got from an old friend... she went to Oregon to witness the full eclipse, and caught the approaching shadow coming across this plateau.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #13 on: August 24, 2017, 02:37:10 PM »
We had about 94% coverage but during the high point light clouds came in. We were still able to see the sun and moon but is was all in soft focus. It was still something to see. We are planning to load up the trailer and telescopes for the upcoming eclipse in 2024.

HyAlembicK

• Keep your mind in the middle
« Reply #14 on: August 24, 2017, 05:57:43 PM »
Full totality on the Santiam river south of Salem, Or. My view was slightly enhanced via psilocybin, and one of the most beautiful things I have ever experienced.