Author Topic: F-1X treble/bass boost  (Read 246 times)

rv_bass

• club
F-1X treble/bass boost
« on: August 15, 2017, 03:24:54 PM »
Would anyone happen to know if the treble/bass boost on a F-1X provides the same function as the treble/bass boost/cut on some Alembic bass models such as Europa?  Thanks!

elwoodblue

• club
Re: F-1X treble/bass boost
« Reply #1 on: August 15, 2017, 06:44:12 PM »
Do you mean the 'Deep' switch?

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2017, 06:49:10 PM »
Yes, sorry.

And I was just reading about these two F-1X switches on the Alembic preamps page.  From what I read it sounds like they provide a different function than the switches found on the basses themselves. But if I am incorrect please let me know.  Thanks.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2017, 07:35:17 PM »
Rob, you and Brother Elwood beat me to it, but yeah... I was just going to reference the manual here:  http://www.alembic.com/prod/f1x.html

As an aside, I just finished an hour of practice on mine... golly this thing sounds so good.  :D

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2017, 11:20:49 PM »
Yep they are different, at least they sound different. I have a standard europa with those on and they seem to operate on different frequencies. The switches on the europa seems to put a boost at specific frequency ranges of bass and treble whereas the F1-x sounds like it operates on all frequencies below a particular point. The deep switch seems to take some of the middle out as well as boosting the bottom and sounds scooped to my ears. The high seems just to make the top end much crisper. Hope that helps.
In any case I don't thing I've ever used them live.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 04:24:18 AM »
Thanks, Jazzyvee.   I don't use the Bright switch.  I like the using the Deep switch, and now that you mention it, it does sound like it scoops the mids with a little bass boost, but remains somewhat crisp.  The deep switch is why I have remained with two the F-1Xs rather than switching to the F-2B that lacks the Deep switch.

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 07:08:47 AM »
The deep switch seems to take some of the middle out as well as boosting the bottom and sounds scooped to my ears.

That's exactly what the Ultra Lo switch on an SVT does.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 01:34:15 PM »
Greg, thanks for the manual!