Author Topic: Going Exclusively Series?  (Read 396 times)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
Going Exclusively Series?
« on: August 11, 2017, 01:19:48 AM »
I guess this is really aimed mainly at those members who have had a variety of alembic basses and made the move to go exclusively to owning and playing only series basses. Why did you decide to offload your non series basses and go exclusively series?
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

jacko

• club
Re: Going Exclusively Series?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2017, 03:45:06 AM »
Can't help with the question V but judging from 'sales' on ebay and basschat over the last few years I think you'd lose a fortune trying to sell your non-series instruments in the UK.

Graeme

hammer

• club
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2017, 04:46:17 AM »
Although I might get there eventually, I'm not there yet myself. I have two Series basses (Standard point and SC) both of which I wisely purchased used. I play the shorty probably 60% of the time (80% when practicing solo). However, when playing out, I often grab one of my Standards because I find it easier to dial in the tone I want. Maybe I just need more time with the Series basses, but I've played in some rooms where all the tweaking in world doesn't result in my Series tone blending in the way I (and bandmates desire). Mind you, some of this my be do to my "old school" view of the bass and my role as a bassist being to support the other musicians with whom I play as opposed to being the lower register equivalent of another lead guitarist. On the other hand, the Alembic Series sound tends to stand out and sometimes its incredible clarity (I received comments that it sounds like the lower register of piano as much as a bass) isn't what's called for in the music I'm playing.

As far as the money piece goes...the only bass I'll probably never sell is the custom standard I purchased new as the loss on that one would be too much to bear. On the other hand, the two used basses I've sold have basically gone for what I paid for them.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2017, 07:17:24 AM »
Yep I think generally you are right there Jaco, alembics are hard to move here. It's not that I want to sell mine but i'm finding that the more I use the series basses and get used to them, the more I find that when I use a non series bass, I am searching for a series sound from it which isn't gonna happen. Maybe my ears are changing in my old age. :-)

edwin

• club
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2017, 10:04:53 PM »
My first Alembic was a Series bass and it just seems to me (my opinion only and no judgment on anyone else's) that a non-Series Alembic is only halfway there. Now that I'm used to SII electronics, even SI electronics are a bit frustrating as I find myself wanting to find the in between Q settings.

That's just me, though. There are a number of models which I haven't had the pleasure of playing, so it's an opinion formed without all available evidence.

smuprof

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2017, 09:53:09 AM »
I think the challenge is owning a series bass simply because that tends to become the "go to" bass.  I'm fortunate that all of my Alembics are different and tend to get used for different things.  Love the Balance K body shape, my main bass is the S2 5 string, so the Signature Balance K 5 string is an easy change - different sound, less heavy, "simpler" to tone shape.  Have been rediscovering the joy of using that one lately.

The SI is a 4 string, and, to my ears, really has a different sound compared to the SII (35 year difference in the electronics age, certainly different structure and wood package).  Very light strings, just a joy to play.

The 8 string Exploiter with Europa electronics has less to do with the electronics than the 8 strings - it's a specialty instrument with awesome tones, i.e. have never tried tried to get series tones out of it because the string courses are the bigger factor in the tone.

And my first Alembic, the 4 string Exploiter with Spoiler electronics.  I was working on something years ago on this bass and recorded it to work on it. Listening back through a good set of headphones, that same, filtered quality tone that I hear in my Series instruments came ringing through and I was delighted, even thought it's the simplest Alembic electronics package I have.

I'm sure it's subjective for everyone, and while my SII gets first call most of the time, I tend to use the other basses for specific reasons and I've never struggled to get what I want out of them.  Perhaps it's because I use them for what I perceive they're good at that I've never felt limited in getting what I want out of them.

Now if I could just convince my wife that I really, really, really need a Stanley Clarke because it's different, my collection would be complete . . .  :)

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2017, 03:47:50 PM »
I like that Smuprof, I like to also use the basses I have for what I perceive their best fit is for a gig I am going to do. However that changes for different reasons. If it's a prestige gig or a large festival then one of the series basses is my first choice because I want to deliver the best sound I think will work in that environment. Other times I would choose it for a specific playing persopective and tone.Also I have noticed that when you have a bass or a guitar for that matter that looks totally different to any of the others at the festival the photographers want to get a good picture of it and I think that also helps to spread the brand around.

smuprof

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #7 on: August 27, 2017, 08:10:24 AM »
Jazzyvee -

Agree.  There are definitely SII sounds I can't get from the Spoiler.  And playing the SII through the stereo rig is a completely different experience (adding the dimension of adjusting the relative pickup, upper cabs and subs volume for tone rather than volume).

You're spot with the "look" comment.  Lots more photos of the Exploiter basses than the others.

John

Bradley Young

• club
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2017, 07:37:30 AM »
After my next one arrives, I'll be all Alembic again. I cheated a bit with Sadowsky as a "leave it at church for others to play", but we've tried quite hard, and can't get a workable (choice: pull out all the top end, or listen to the fluorescent lights) tone out of it.

Bradley