Author Topic: Jack Casady Epiphone 20th Anniversary Bass - anyone else intrigued by this?  (Read 272 times)

CaseyVancouver

Maybe cause I was influenced by Jack Casady as a youth, but I like his 2017 20th anniversary bass.

I should not like it though.

I had a semi-acoustic Gibson eb-2 in the '70s. It was short scale, had a mudbucker pickup and was horrible to play. Also had a Eko semi acoustic bass back then, equal feelings on it. The new Epiphone has a 34" scale, modern pick up, and built the way Jack wants, as he explains in the youtube link below.

So I should really be interested in a '60s Guild Starfire, as that is what I saw him play in'69.
Looking at the vintage ones for sale, they just make me feel old!

The new Epiphone 20th anniversary bass is not in stores around here so can't try one.
Long & McQuade will bring one in for $1050 canadian, which is cheap. The earlier signature basses were built in Korea, these ones are from China (I think). Yeah that is a bit of a turnoff.
Maybe ok  as I have a made in China 'Orange' bass amp and like it.

Any of you have experience with these basses?

Cheers

Here is a video from Epiphone:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OfALj52cVow

« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:39:00 AM by CaseyVancouver »

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Casey, I shopped the standard Epiphone JC models for a while with ideas of buying a used one. There are sporadic, but not prolific complaints of problems with the electronics, specifically the impedance switch. I'm guessing they resolved the issue long before the 20th Anniversary Model's inception. They look fantastic, but I have not had one in-hand for evaluation.

FWIW, I ended up with this DeArmond Starfire II that looks somewhat like Jack Casady's second one. Sounds pretty darn sweet as-is, but I may eventually make some changes... BiSonics or Darkstars most likely, although the notion of an East-Meets-West-AXY-Equipped Starfire nags at the back of my deeply twisted mind.  ;D

*and just to test your resolve: https://www.talkbass.com/threads/vintage-1967-guild-starfire-1-bass-price-reduced.1295626/#post-20291780
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 02:43:34 PM by edwardofhuncote »

CaseyVancouver

Thank you Gregory!

I went to Long & McQuade hoping to love a standard JC bass they have on the wall, then order the anniversary one. Well, it and myself are not a match! Couldn't wait to put it back...

As I looked around there was this used Ibanez in black, jp pickups active, 34" scale, nice wood and priced less than it costs me to fill my Lexus (not kidding). The body shape is rather like my Essence.

I brought it home! Digging it totally.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
  :)

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
I like the reverse P pickup on that! I have an SR506 - nice bass, someday I'd like to put Alembic pups & electronics in it.

ryan_p

• club
Congrats. Looks lovely and am sure it sounds likewise, too.

CaseyVancouver

Re: Jack Casady Epiphone 20th Anniversary Bass - anyone else intrigued by this?
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2017, 03:00:06 PM »
Liked the Ibanez so much I've grabbed another!