Author Topic: Pyramid Golds on a Starfire  (Read 704 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Pyramid Golds on a Starfire
« Reply #15 on: June 24, 2017, 02:17:24 PM »
You guys are killin' me... I sent the seller a PM, so we'll see what comes of it.  ;D

By all means- take this thread wherever... I always enjoy the tangents we end up on. I started out just looking for an E string replacement, and ended up here.  ::)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 02:19:14 PM by edwardofhuncote »

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #16 on: June 24, 2017, 03:26:15 PM »
is it odd that the ad for the pickups suggest they came out of one bass and the ad for the electronics suggest they came out of another bass?  Based on photos of different Anniversary basses in the two ads.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 04:03:09 PM by rv_bass »

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #17 on: June 24, 2017, 05:47:18 PM »
Agree, weird.

I remember seeing the (presumably) legitimate CL ad for that walnut Anniversary Model a while back, in the area of the seller. (was in Maryland IIRC, now in D.C.) Don't know about the maple one... looks like a screen-captured stock picture.

The old adage about things that are "too good to be true" may apply here... I haven't had a reply yet. We'll see.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 05:49:53 PM by edwardofhuncote »

cozmik_cowboy

• club
« Reply #18 on: June 24, 2017, 06:44:57 PM »
Harry,

Here is one comparison of the new Guild bisonic and the Novak bisonic to start with:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GuDtKF8qyNY

Rob

Well, while I'd like to hear it through a serious hi-fi rig, that's encouraging; I had assumed the new "Bisonics" were like the "bumblebee" caps Henry the Slime sells to the reiss cork-sniffers for $50 per "for vintage paper-in-oil tone"; dude on another forum cut one open - it's just a modern poly cap encased in clay & painted to look like a bumblebee.

Peter
"Don't take life so serious; it ain't no ways permanent"

Pogo

edwin

• club
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2017, 10:00:10 PM »
Getting back to Pyramids, get in touch with Max. He makes a special set for Starfires which are medium scale strings. They fit perfectly.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #20 on: June 26, 2017, 03:37:28 AM »
Thanks Edwin, figured you would know. ;)

Max?

edwin

• club
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2017, 08:13:15 PM »
Thanks Edwin, figured you would know. ;)

Max?

Send a message to the contact link at their site. He's the guy that answers.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #22 on: June 28, 2017, 10:09:18 AM »
Thanks (again) Edwin... I'll try that.

Yeah, the Bass Strings Online store is backordered on all Pyramid strings, so maybe something has interupted production.  :-\

Oh well... I'm not in a hurry anyway.   :)

And FWIW, someone beat me to those Anniversary electronics, though I still could have bought the pickups, I passed on them. I'm thinking the Starfire will eventually end up with either Guild Bi-Sonics or Novak DarkStars. Again, it sounds pretty sweet with the stock DeArmonds, so I'm not in a big hurry to  go messin' around with something that's workin'.  ;D

sonicus

• club
« Reply #23 on: September 02, 2017, 02:49:48 AM »
A few years ago I had made a special order of Pyramid Gold strings . They made me a few sets for the Starfire as well as some variations of different gauges. I currently have a standard longscale set on my Series II long scale and a set on my Starfire . I was using Pyramid Gold strings all the back to the mid 1970's ;)

sonicus

• club
« Reply #24 on: September 02, 2017, 03:01:30 AM »
I was able to purchase 2 sets of the new Guild BS-1 pickups . I intend to experiment on some projects with those. One of those projects is installing a set (both neck and bridge positions ) into a  Gibson EB-3 .I might be installing buffer preamps to them as well but retain the passive tone circuit . I also have a separate bridge and tailpiece set that I picked up used that might go into that project. I am in no rush to complete this but I think that it will be interesting when it is indeed finished . I have been collecting pieces for this for years already it seems .

edwin

• club
« Reply #25 on: September 02, 2017, 07:38:38 PM »
Like this?

sonicus

• club
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2017, 03:13:31 AM »
Indeed, There will be other folks with a similar mindset . :)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2017, 09:47:30 PM »
FWIW, I seem to have grown accustomed to the medium-scale D'Addario Chromes on it.

And I still haven't done any mods to it either... to tell the truth - I kinda' like how it sounds with the stock DeArmonds. In the back of my easily distracted mind, I think one day I'd like to Alembicize one, with some activator circuitry, but would rather do it myself.

(like I really need another project...  ::))