Author Topic: Pyramid Golds on a Starfire  (Read 613 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Pyramid Golds on a Starfire
« on: June 22, 2017, 04:38:53 PM »
Best to use the short-scale set, even with the longer after-length?

Long story short, I tried to wind a long-scale set onto a Starfire the other night, and managed to break the E-string right at the tuner.  :(

I think because;

A.) it was a used string, and;
B.) the winding/silk terminated right at the post.

I really want to try some Pyramids on this Starfire... they were okay on my Distillate, but (sigh) TI Jazz Flats sound so much better and play so much easier. Something tells me they'll be perfect for this particular bass though.

Anyway, I know this is the place to ask about anything Starfire-related   ;D

*this is a bone-stock DeArmond Starfire... but I suspect there are some mods coming. More on that later.  ;)
« Last Edit: June 22, 2017, 04:43:01 PM by edwardofhuncote »

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Pyramid Golds on a Starfire
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2017, 04:52:49 PM »
Looks a little like one of Jack Casady's Starfires... before the grand experiment began. ;)

David Houck

• club
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2017, 05:08:30 PM »
More on that later.  ;)

Burying the lede.

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2017, 08:34:29 PM »
Beautiful bass, Greg.

I have two Starfires (a '67 and a newer reissue one that is being Alembicized).  I use short scale Pyramid Golds on both of them.  Pyramid Golds sound fantastic on Starfires, personally I wouldn't use anything else. 

Gotta love hollowbodies!

Rob

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2017, 08:55:36 PM »
Thanks Rob, figured one of you guys would know... I'll order a set tomorrow.  ;)

It has D'Addario Chromes on it now, and even with the stock equipment sounds pretty good. It may end up with BiSonics or Darkstars eventually. Or who knows... maybe even a pair of AXY's and some East-Meets-West circuitry.  ;D

**one more question.... anybody know where I can order a replacement (Pyramid Gold) E string? The only singles I've been able to find are the B string gauges. I'd hate to toss the rest of the set for one string.

« Last Edit: June 23, 2017, 03:39:02 AM by edwardofhuncote »

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2017, 06:17:57 AM »
bassstringsonline.com?

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2017, 04:16:43 PM »
Guild is selling a version of the bisonic pickup, which I think sounds fine compared to my '67 Starfire

https://shop.guildguitars.com/product/guild-bs-1-bisonic-bass-pickup/

Curtis Novak makes a nice version of the bisonic, and he will build them to your specs as well.

http://curtisnovak.com/pickups/BS-DS.shtml

Aa east meets west Starfire is intriguing as well!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2017, 07:57:27 AM »
Thanks (again) Rob.  ;)

I believe someone had installed a set of those (or something like them) on this bass before, as I can see there is an extra set of holes peeking out from under the pickup surrounds. I'll look into them.

Went ahead and ordered a set of short-scale Pyramid Golds for it, but still haven't found where I can buy a single E string to replace the broken one. Guess I'll be on the lookout for a secondhand full set and have some extras.  :)

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2017, 08:43:39 AM »
Greg,

Try contacting the company directly, I have purchased individual strings from them before.

pyramid@junger.de

www.pyramid-strings.de

Also, these online companies sell Pyramid Golds, maybe they would be willing to sell individual strings (but make sure they have them in stock and are not just ordering them direct from the company):

http://www.juststrings.com/pyramidguitarflatwound.html

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/pyramid-strings.html

Also, you may have to cut back some of the silk wraping so it doesn't sit on the nut or bridge saddle. 

Rob
« Last Edit: June 24, 2017, 08:45:27 AM by rv_bass »

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2017, 08:59:34 AM »
Also, when my Starfire is finished being modified ( hopefully soon  :)  ) I will have an extra Bisonic pickup that you can pop in there and try out if you want.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2017, 11:48:32 AM »
Yep, I saw on the package where they will do a custom gauge for you. Not a big enough deal to worry over... I just hate having a broken set laying around.  ::)

Looks like Guild is currently back-ordered on their Bi-Sonics... I'm not in a hurry anyway, but that probably is the direction I'll go on this one. Just don't have the experience yet to tackle a D-I-Y Alembicizing. I'm really not particularly unhappy with the sound of the stock DeArmonds for now.

Looking forward to seeing your Starfire finished... that'll probably be what finally pushes me over the edge. See, you guys have ruint me!

(I swear, it's a real word around here)   ;D

Thanks for the advice.  ;)

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2017, 12:25:31 PM »
Personally, I'm skeptical about the new Guild Bi-Sonics. The original Bi-Sonics are kind of a holy grail, leading to the early Alembic pickups - the Dark Stars were a meticulous, loving re-creation - the Novaks as well. Did Guild really engage in similar engineering? I'm still skeptical but open to the possibility that they have really created something equal for half the price, but I need to hear it to believe it.

I'm not trying to discourage you, just wanted to get my two cents in. Actually, maybe you could get them and some Novaks and do a comparison!

I was also thinking - email bassstringsonline - he responds pretty quickly (though it can be a day or two depending on what's going on) - you never know, he might have one lying around. I've never tried Pyramid Golds myself - stick mostly to regular LaBella flats on my short scales. Have fun with the project!

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #12 on: June 24, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »
Harry,

Here is one comparison of the new Guild bisonic and the Novak bisonic to start with:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GuDtKF8qyNY

Rob

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #13 on: June 24, 2017, 01:31:09 PM »
Harry,

Here is one comparison of the new Guild bisonic and the Novak bisonic to start with:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=GuDtKF8qyNY

Very interesting - I think this topic deserved its own thread!

StephenR

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #14 on: June 24, 2017, 01:56:34 PM »
It may end up with BiSonics or Darkstars eventually. Or who knows... maybe even a pair of AXY's and some East-Meets-West circuitry.

If you want to jump start the Alembicization of your Starfire or at least have the components stashed and ready to go there is someone on Talk Bass selling an Anniversary Electronics chassis and also the two pickups from the same instrument. He has the pickups listed separately from the chassis. Looks like they are probably a good deal, too.

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/alembic-20th-anniversary-preamp-electronics.1291205/#post-20168365

https://www.talkbass.com/threads/alembic-axy-pickups-4-string.1291200/#post-20168328