Author Topic: Power Amp to match with F-1X and SF-2  (Read 934 times)

Bassman8416

• club
  • Advanced Member
Power Amp to match with F-1X and SF-2
« on: May 31, 2017, 05:49:14 AM »
Hey folks,
                 I am looking for a power amp that I wish you used bridged mono into with a single 810 cab at 4 ohms or a single 410 cab at 8 ohms...both cabs are rated well over 1000 watts.
This is primarily being used for a Grateful Dead tribute band I play in. Primarily using a Guild Starfire II with novak pickups(saving for the Alembic Upgrade)..
Anyway I read somewhere that some class D power amps do not match up well with the F-1x ?
I do play a lot of big venue and outdoor festivals...so i do meed some power. Would like to spend around $750, maybe a little more.
Thank you kindly

jacko

• club
Re: Power Amp to match with F-1X and SF-2
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2017, 06:06:14 AM »
The stock answer on this forum will be to go for either a crown or one of the QSC PLX models. I ran my F1X through a QSC PLX2402 and was very happy with the sound  - the model number refers to the power when bridged at 4 ohms so the PLx1202 is 1200watts bridged, the PLX 2402 is 2400 watts bridged and so on.  They're roughly half that power running at 2 ohms and half again running at 4 ohms.  they've been around a while so you shouldn't have much trouble picking one up second hand. they're a lot lighter than the equivalent Crown models and in my experience work very will with the F1X.

Graeme

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2017, 06:14:22 AM »
I use the QSC GX7 power amp with either one or two F-1X preamps, works well for me.

https://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/power-amplifiers/gx-series/gx7/

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2017, 06:23:36 AM »
I'm using an F-1X with a Crown XLS 2000. I have bridged it in mono, but I prefer to use it as a bi-amp rig.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2017, 06:48:07 AM »
A QSC PLX1802 bridged would line up well with the power characteristics of the cabinets. You might also consider the PLX3102 or PLX3602 in stereo as the single channel output would also match well with your cabinets. The advantage of the larger amp in stereo is you could use both cabinets and use the gain controls to balance them. You will not be able to do that on a bridged PLX amplifier. Those amps also have built in crossovers should you decide to go to a bi-amp or bass PA in the future.

wayne

• club
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2017, 10:30:08 AM »
As an additional plug for the QSC PLX line: When I was searching, I traded emails with one of the engineers at QSC.  He actually worked on the PLX design and purchased an F-1X in the final testing phase to use as a preamp to test the PLX for bass amplification.

C-Ya..........wayne
20th Anniversary 008
The Dark and The Light
The Unicorn
82 1228

hammer

• club
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2017, 02:59:48 PM »
I've used Yamaha P Series power amps for a number of years now (P7000) with an F 1X, super filter and Phil Jones cabs. Tons of clean power. 750x2 @ 8 ohms and 950 @ 4.  Durable too as in it. still works after a friend helping me move it from a gig dropped it down 2/3 of a full flight of stairs. A dent or two but the amp ended up in a lot better condition than the stairs. Model has recently been discontinued and I've seen them going used for $400-450.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2017, 02:56:23 AM »
Another plug for the QSC. I got one after reading many good reviews from members here. I got the QSC PLX2402 model not because I needed it really loud more because I wanted a good clean sound with lots of headroom at all volume levels and it certainly delivers that. Most times I use it in mono.
« Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 02:58:59 AM by jazzyvee »
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

moongerm

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #8 on: July 20, 2017, 05:22:50 AM »
If I can add do this question, what is the warmest, fattest sounding amp for Alembics?  Ampeg SVT 4 pro  and ampeg cabs comes to mind being Stanley's choice for many years now.  Aside from its weight and bulk does anything compare?  Is there anything new out there that is just as warm and powerfull?

I use a QSC GX7 these days and it so far has served me well with and without my F-1Xs. Can't go wrong with it and it is not heavy. I carry it around in a 2U Gator rack bag so I can pair it with any pre amp speaker combination.

StephenR

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2017, 09:40:42 AM »
The Aguilar DB 751 is a tube head with a big warm sound reminiscent of the SVT but more refined and hi-fi. Weighs a ton and is expensive but very popular. Personally I prefer a preamp/power amp combination to an integrated head.

moongerm

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #10 on: July 20, 2017, 05:33:54 PM »
Stephen,  Right on, agreed....I don't want to lug around and SVT pro 4 or 2.  So the question becomes, what is warmest, fattest, powerful and  flexible stereo power amp that comes close to the SVT 4 Pro these days, heavy or not?  :)  Is there anything new that is or could be promising?

lidon2001

• club
« Reply #11 on: July 20, 2017, 08:32:39 PM »
I'm enjoying my Mesa Subway D800+.  Very nice amp, and goes down to 2 ohms.  $800, 5 year transferable warranty and case.  Hard to beat.

Use the aux input or effect loop return in the back and it's a 2 ohm digital power amp.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2017, 08:41:20 PM by lidon2001 »
2005 MK Deluxe SSB, 2006 Custom Amboyna Essence MSB, Commissioned Featured Custom Pele

keith_h

• club
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2017, 06:09:05 AM »
If I can add do this question, what is the warmest, fattest sounding amp for Alembics?  Ampeg SVT 4 pro  and ampeg cabs comes to mind being Stanley's choice for many years now.  Aside from its weight and bulk does anything compare?  Is there anything new out there that is just as warm and powerfull?

As far as I know Stanley only uses the power section from the Ampeg SVT and still uses two F-1X preamps for the front end. He also uses a tube based 12" guitar amp in addition to the 10" loaded bass cabinet on the treble pickup.

lidon2001

• club
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2017, 02:16:10 PM »
Alembic made Stanley a new non-rackmount non-tube preamp that can be taken on the plane with him.  Still waiting for the public version, if one ever appears.  There's a thread on it here somewhere.

T
2005 MK Deluxe SSB, 2006 Custom Amboyna Essence MSB, Commissioned Featured Custom Pele

moongerm

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • www.brianonbass.com
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2017, 05:35:02 PM »
Keith and T, for sure! A friend of mine asked me to help him setup his Alembic F-2B preamp and his Crown PSA-2 Power Amplifier. I can't wait to hear what that sounds like. A lot of cats decades ago, Sting included, used the Crown PSA-2 Power Amplifier from what I learned.

Sorry to sidetrack here Craig. If we sync up in the near future you can certainly check out what the F1-X and QSC GX7 sound like together.