Author Topic: Custom Fretless "Chain-Links" (C 14588 USA)  (Read 1679 times)

tbrannon

• club
Re: Custom Fretless "Chain-Links" (C 14588 USA)
« Reply #60 on: June 09, 2017, 03:19:37 PM »
Hahaha.  I knew I had commented previously, but was too lazy to go look. :)

Enjoy the gig.   I have a feeling that you'll find all kinds of new little morsels of goodness this weekend.

eastcoastepic

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2017, 05:03:51 PM »
Congratulations on a magnificent instrument! So cool to have a 'C' designation; your heartfelt backstory just adds to the mystique of yet another masterpiece from the Mothership.
May you two make beautiful music together for many years to come.......salute!

Chris
Correction: there is 'much' money to be made above the fifth fret....

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #62 on: November 03, 2017, 07:47:42 PM »
I've had quite a few questions about the brass plate between the pickups... in the early days, this is where the backup batteries went in Series instruments, and the hum-cancelling coil was inside the body cavity. The change came in 1974, when the battery box moved to the back. My bass was only going to use one battery, but I wanted it located back in the top... Mica did some checking and measuring, and sure enough, they made it work. I did it partly as a hat-tip to the vintage, but also for convenience of changing a battery out. You might have thought it would be hard getting to it under the strings, but here's how it works:

Loosen the top string a few turns, and slip these two foam blocks between the string and pickups, then remove the two screws. The battery slides right out, just as easily as the new one slides in.  :D
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 07:58:55 PM by edwardofhuncote »

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #63 on: November 03, 2017, 07:50:11 PM »
Cool !
 I just figured that was where your stash was  8)

Nice hat tip.