Author Topic: Expecting Owner - '77 Series 1 Long Scale  (Read 813 times)

jonnytb

Expecting Owner - '77 Series 1 Long Scale
« on: May 16, 2017, 11:40:41 AM »
Hi There,

I'm a new member in the community and very anxiously awaiting my first Alembic to arrive!

I live in Brooklyn, NY and originally from Massachusetts.

Bass player for life, but also play mandolin and a little guitar.

I play a broad range of styles, from bluegrass, to funk, to punk rock.

Through an extremely wonderful series of events, I will be the proud owner of a '77 Series 1 long scale (77-929)!

Super excited. An instrument I never expected to ever come my way.

So, as I prepare and do research, I was wondering whether Alembic, and/or the community, might have some tips for a first timer.

And, I was also wondering whether Alembic might have any historic info about this specific instrument i.e. woods, electronics, repairs, etc.

Thanks in advance and I will post some pics as soon as possible!

Jon

« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 11:59:19 AM by jonnytb »
'77 Series 1 Alembic
Fender California Special P Bass
Kala Acoustic/Electric UBass
Ibanez Acoustic/Electric Bass
Eastman F515 Mandolin

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Expecting Owner - '77 Series 1 Long Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2017, 12:31:41 PM »
Welcome jonnytb... like yourself, I'm primarily a bass player, but also a closet mandolin and guitar player, and grew up in Southwest Virginia, the cradle of Bluegrass and Oldtyme music. Mix that with some Fleetwood-Mac and The Eagles, hit play, and I'm happy.  ;D

Mica catches up on the serial number look-ups when time permits, but in the meantime I'm glad to have another to swap yee-hahs with.

(pre-emptive) Congratulations & Compliments on your Series I... be sure and post some pictures of it in the Showcase section of the Forum here after you get it.   ;)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 12:35:22 PM by edwardofhuncote »

jonnytb

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2017, 01:20:48 PM »
Thanks Edward!

Will absolutely add some photos once I have the bass.

I added the serial info request in the appropriate section. Interested to hear a little more about this instrument's provenance.

Be well!

Jon
'77 Series 1 Alembic
Eastman F515 Mandolin

mtjam

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2017, 02:51:57 PM »
Welcome! Can't wait to see that bass, and I know you will enjoy it!

Now you will have to figure out which Alembic you want next...

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2017, 01:10:43 AM »
Too right mtjam... too right!
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2017, 02:24:39 PM »
Congrats! Nice Alembic to have as a first!

The electronics are probably going to be different than what you're used to - in a way, more like a passive bass than a "normal" active bass with bass & treble boost, but also much more flexible & powerful. Definitely read up in the "Must Reads" and "FAQ" section about the Series I & any stuff about filters. It's not that difficult, but definitely different. Don't get overwhelmed, maybe start with the neck pickup and see what the filter does to that, then the bridge, then combine them. There's plenty of sage advice to be had here on the forum!

jonnytb

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2017, 05:32:20 AM »
Thanks Hieronymous,

I've definitely been trying to read up on how the controls work, power, etc.

Looking forward to start experimenting.

My only "concern" is more with the weight. I have some back issues (lower back surgery about five years ago) and since, I've been very careful in regard to instruments.

This bass comes in a little under 11 lbs. What do people generally think about the weight of these bases? Balanced well, too heavy, etc?

Thanks!

Jon
'77 Series 1 Alembic
Eastman F515 Mandolin

hammer

• club
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2017, 09:53:59 AM »
Congratulations on your new bass. Series basses are the ultimate in tonal flexibility. As far as the back goes..Alembics do tend to be heavier especially Series basses so.get yourself a really good padded strap (4.5 inches is what I'm using). Alembic, Moody, Levy, and Italia all make quality straps. My other adjustment is to have a stool handy and play from a sitting position whenever we are doing something slow and when I get a chance between songs (it's amazing how often our guitarist retunes between songs).

jonnytb

« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2017, 02:35:08 PM »
Thanks, Hammer!

Question to the community. Any suggestions in terms of a suitable gig bag for a Series 1? This bass has the pointed bottom end. It has a custom road case, but it's not going to be practical taking on the subway, taxis, etc.

Anyone have thoughts about Mono gig bags?

Jon
« Last Edit: May 21, 2017, 05:55:06 PM by jonnytb »
'77 Series 1 Alembic
Eastman F515 Mandolin

chadlittle

• I'm New Here
« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2017, 11:39:45 AM »
So what would be the ideal width for the strap...for a heavier bass guitar?

tbrannon

• club
« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2017, 04:37:52 PM »
The wider, the better.  4" is best in my book

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2017, 07:06:20 PM »
I have Series basses that weigh 10, 11, and 12 pounds, and I use this Levy strap with each one and it is very comfortable and distributes the weight well.

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PM32Blk

Although, regardless of which strap you choose, if you have a bad back you will find yourself sitting down now and then to relieve the weight.

I have a Reunion Blues gig bag.  One of my standard point Series basses just barely fits in it, the other is too long (not all points are created equal).  The bag is also just barely wide enough. So, make sure you measure your bass from tip to tip, and the width at its widest point.  Then check the internal length and width of the gig bag you are considering.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2017, 07:08:22 PM by rv_bass »

jalevinemd

• club
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2017, 10:22:06 AM »
Thanks, Hammer!

Question to the community. Any suggestions in terms of a suitable gig bag for a Series 1? This bass has the pointed bottom end. It has a custom road case, but it's not going to be practical taking on the subway, taxis, etc.

Anyone have thoughts about Mono gig bags?

Jon

One of the Alembic guitars that I take out regularly has a standard point on the bottom. I've been using the Mono Vertigo gig bag for over two years and have not had any issues to date. I feel quite confident with that particular bag.

Regards,

Jonathan

jonnytb

« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2017, 01:27:09 PM »
I have a Reunion Blues gig bag.  One of my standard point Series basses just barely fits in it, the other is too long (not all points are created equal).  The bag is also just barely wide enough. So, make sure you measure your bass from tip to tip, and the width at its widest point.  Then check the internal length and width of the gig bag you are considering.

Thanks for the info, RV!

I was actually looking at info about the Reunion Blues bags. I also saw some good comments about this Gator bag (http://gatorcases.com/products/guitar/pro-go-ultimate-guitar-gig-bags/pro-go-guitar/bass-guitar-gig-bag-g-pg-bass/#prettyPhoto). I had a great Gator mandolin case for years, but the Alembic is going to be a different beast altogether.

Anyone out there have any experience with this Gator bag?

Jon
'77 Series 1 Alembic
Eastman F515 Mandolin

jonnytb

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2017, 01:28:48 PM »
One of the Alembic guitars that I take out regularly has a standard point on the bottom. I've been using the Mono Vertigo gig bag for over two years and have not had any issues to date. I feel quite confident with that particular bag.

Thanks, Jonathan!
'77 Series 1 Alembic
Eastman F515 Mandolin