Author Topic: Skinny Orion 5  (Read 303 times)

coyoteboy

• I'm New Here
Skinny Orion 5
« on: April 28, 2017, 10:21:47 AM »
Still dreaming for sure, but lets get all the silly questions in one place shall we?

Orion 5, </=17mm bridge spacing, fat neck carve. I was leaning toward balance k shape, but wifey likes Europa shape better.

* the europa/Orion 4 has the right body proportion to my eye. Can a narrow space 5 be shoved into a 4 string Orion body?
* Have a particular color palette in mind, and the Stormburst will do nicely, but Im after a lighter board. I know maple is uncommon but available, but what might be other options? White ebony, sapwood of purpleheart, mac ebony, katalox, or ziricote? Bleached wengé?
* Likely opt for signature electronics
* I see cream pup covers, but no cream knobs. They available?
* SS frets. More trouble than they're worth? I like the slippery feel of my SS equipped EBMM. 
Thats it for now. Dream on!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Skinny Orion 5
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2017, 05:31:20 PM »
Well hey there coyoteboy! Don't I know you from somewhere else. ;) Welcome to the Alembic Club.

I don't think a narrow-spaced five-string would be much trouble. The 'Classic-taper' bridge is darn close to 17mm spacing anyway, so it's really a matter of slimming the neck to suit. Our own Jimmy J likes his five-strings with very narrow proportions as well, so they're no stranger to that notion at Alembic.

The Shop has turned out a couple really nice maple fingerboard models lately, but going custom, I bet they could find something even more special. Look around the wood pages for Pale Moon Ebony, see what you think of that.  ;)

Your idea sound like an interesting one... looking forward to it.

mica

• alembic
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2017, 06:23:36 PM »
Actually, on an Orion bass, the body is the same regardless of the number of strings or the spacing - so that's no problem.

If you're doing a light colored wood for the fingerboard, you'll need to decide if you want the regular oil finish or if you want a more protective coating on the wood.

We can get just about any knobs you need. Maybe Maple ones if you're going with a Maple fingerboard?

SS frets are extry. I don't have lots of personal experience playing them, but pretty much if you like 'em then you should get 'em - after all, this is your custom bass :)

coyoteboy

• I'm New Here
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2017, 08:12:28 PM »
Thanks Mica for looking in. Definately go for the finished fingerboard, I havent tried one of those. Does that get sprayed last after fret dressing, then you just wear it off the fret tops?

coyoteboy

• I'm New Here
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2017, 12:06:39 PM »
Color inspiration courtesy of Ikea.  ;D

I like the contrast between the greys, cream, charcoal, gold, brown, and wheat. So:

Storm Burst
Cypress? Top back
Avodire? Core
Cream pups/knobs
Maple board with some tint
Maple, mac ebony, and pao amarillo neck
Marching front headcap, walnut back lamp

https://instagram.com/p/BThHxn2AmVb/
« Last Edit: April 30, 2017, 10:17:50 AM by coyoteboy »

coyoteboy

• I'm New Here
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2017, 01:00:17 PM »
Okay, I'm waffling between Europa, Balance K Point and non-offset  EVH, but Ive decided to let the tint go in lieu of a nice grey-taupe slab of bocote for the face. Myrtle back/core, all maple neck, though I'm curious about a walnut neck. Katalox sapwood for the board if I'm lucky. Keeping the cream pup covers. ;-)