Author Topic: Short-scale Essence  (Read 1320 times)

kdh

Re: Short-scale Essence
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2017, 04:55:58 PM »
On physically balancing the instrument on my shoulder:

First, let's remember that the lower half of the body of the Essence is a narrower Small Standard as on the Stanley Clarke basses, which are short scale.

When we reduce a neck to short scale we scale it. Reduce all neck proportions to 30.75/34 = 90% or so. So the part of the neck that sticks out from the body is reduced to 90% and the distance from body edge to the bridge is reduced to 90%. This keeps the fret at the body edge the same.

lidon2001, I guess in the end you're right. Even leaving the bridge where it is there's not significantly less neck weight and the upper horn could stay in the same place, or be just a wee bit shorter.

How does your bass balance?

tbrannon

• club
« Reply #16 on: April 07, 2017, 05:21:54 PM »
Before you move to much more forward, I would suggest playing a number of Alembics. I think that once you get a sense of what they are really about, you'll find uses for the filters and the Q switches (I have to say I love the CVQ, but that's getting into a whole other world.). It's one thing to talk about all these things, it's quite another to get them under your fingers. It takes a while to really understand what the response of the filter system is like, but it's better to get it all figured out now, before you finalize the order. You might discover that there's a lot more going on than controlling high frequencies.

With the Q switch there definitely is a lot more going on than controlling high frequencies. The Q controls a resonance, a bandpass effect.

I think Edwin is saying that finding a few Alembic basses to play might help you make a decision you'll be more comfortable with in the long run. 

Are you close enough to an Alembic dealer to play a few to get a feel for Essence vs Europa vs signature electronics, etc?

lidon2001

• club
« Reply #17 on: April 07, 2017, 08:39:39 PM »
Balances with no issues.  It stays where I put it.  I had the upper horn modified to be more like the upper horn on a BalK body.  If I'm going to order a new  Alembic, I want the body to be a custom design as well, one-of-a kind.   Otherwise, it's just an Alembic.  Not that there's anything wrong with that...  lol

T
2005 MK Deluxe SSB, 2006 Custom Amboyna Essence MSB, Commissioned Featured Custom Pele

lidon2001

• club
« Reply #18 on: April 07, 2017, 09:28:30 PM »
All kidding aside, I don't think balance will be any issue with an Essence of normal scales.  Alembic has designed an Essence body with an extended upper horn for 5 and six strings where it is needed, and others have used the extended horn for 4 strings as well.  But I think you can put those concerns to rest using the standard Essence body with a short scale. 

In the Featured Custom archive, Pretty In Purple is a short scale Essence for reference.
2005 MK Deluxe SSB, 2006 Custom Amboyna Essence MSB, Commissioned Featured Custom Pele

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2017, 02:51:57 AM »
Fatboys.
I had a couple of mxy pickups from alembic a few years back, a fatboy, and a neck pickup with a the magnet and coil offset from centre so it was closer to the fretboard. After trying them out i found the fat boy in the bridge position was a thicker sound and less sweet and hifi sounding than the standard pickup. So I put the original back in there and the offset was really full and warm but again the sweetness was less so i put the standard one back. I did put them up for sale but decided to try them again when i have. Few gigs using that bass. They both sound great but probably not suited to what i was doing at the time.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

flpete1uw

• club
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2017, 04:08:06 AM »

Wait, did I hear a 3 way Q switch for a Distillate? :)

[/quote]

+1 on a 3-position Q-switch. If you already imagine you'll be leving te Q-switch in the off position because ro 8 dB hump is a little much, the I highly recommend the 3-position option. I have both, on two different basses, and can tell you from experience I leave it off on my Distillate with it's stock 2-position switch, but I use the 3-position Q-switch frequently on my Persuader, which now has Essence electronics. In fact, I just talked to Mica later week about upgrading my old Distillate's electronics and exchanging the 2-position Q-switch for a 3-way.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2017, 05:27:38 AM »
Wait, did I hear a 3 way Q switch for a Distillate? :)

Yessir... sounded familiar? ;)

Keith (kdh), here are links to a couple Featured Custom Essence models, including "Pretty in Purple" the short-scale referenced by Tom, but also "Refinement" as envisioned by encyclopedia alembica, Will Gunn.

Planning a Custom (as you're discovering) can be a bit overwhelming. It's good you already had the basic idea in mind, scale length, body style, electronics... but there are so many little tangents to mull over too. Spend some time looking through the Factory-to -Customer threads and the Featured Custom pages. There are limits to what they can do, but not many.

To get you started:

http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_prettyinpurple.html

http://www.alembic.com/info/fc_refinement.html

kdh

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2017, 06:19:18 AM »
I love the ebony framing veneer idea on Will's bass. Would be a great way to subtly set off the different laminates in my all-maple, single-ebony-neck-laminate bass.

I like minimalism aesthetically and to let the materials speak for their own practicality. Ergo the oil finish and the unfinished brass, which I intend to let naturally tarnish.

On electronics I'm going to ask for a 0/3db Q switch which can be easily changed to a 3-way later, and a side-mounted jack.

kdh

« Reply #23 on: April 11, 2017, 04:02:10 PM »
Just an update. The bass I've always wanted seems to be happening! It's been great to work with Susan and Mike at Bass Central. Such a privilege.

The craziest idea is using an ebony framing veneer between the top and body/core along with Will's idea of an ebony veneer between the neck and body. A precious wood of which only a black stripe will be seen. Of course the fingerboard will be ebony. The neck will have an ebony laminate.

No bridge block so the sound will come from the maple and ebony. We're not talking hollow body here.

Black hardware to offset the maple other than the brass, which will be left as is, and won't be a great contrast to the maple. White and Black. Can't wait to meet her.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2017, 04:08:04 PM by kdh »

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 05:52:52 PM »
Bon-Voyage Keith... let the journey begin. I remember well the day I got my quote, and knew it was happening.  8)

kdh

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2017, 04:14:23 PM »
Before you move to much more forward, I would suggest playing a number of Alembics. I think that once you get a sense of what they are really about, you'll find uses for the filters and the Q switches (I have to say I love the CVQ, but that's getting into a whole other world.). It's one thing to talk about all these things, it's quite another to get them under your fingers. It takes a while to really understand what the response of the filter system is like, but it's better to get it all figured out now, before you finalize the order. You might discover that there's a lot more going on than controlling high frequencies.

With the Q switch there definitely is a lot more going on than controlling high frequencies. The Q controls a resonance, a bandpass effect.

I think Edwin is saying that finding a few Alembic basses to play might help you make a decision you'll be more comfortable with in the long run. 

Are you close enough to an Alembic dealer to play a few to get a feel for Essence vs Europa vs signature electronics, etc?

I'm on the E coast so have effectively no way to play the instruments. I'm flying blind. You guys are my ears!
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 04:18:25 PM by kdh »

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2017, 06:56:41 PM »
I see you are in Boston, so am I. You are welcome to stop by and check mine out sometime to get an idea of how the filters and Q-switches work and sound (although mine are Series basses not Essence or Europa, but you'll get to know the controls).
« Last Edit: April 12, 2017, 07:13:30 PM by rv_bass »

edwin

• club
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2017, 09:21:36 PM »

I'm on the E coast so have effectively no way to play the instruments. I'm flying blind. You guys are my ears!

Lots of Alembics on the east coast. I'm sure with some legwork you could end up playing a bunch of them.

kdh

« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2017, 05:02:00 PM »
« Last Edit: April 17, 2017, 05:25:28 PM by kdh »

kdh

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2017, 05:03:57 PM »