Author Topic: The age old Phil Lesh Quest - What Pickups for my Starfire?  (Read 260 times)

wisconsindeadd

• I'm New Here
The age old Phil Lesh Quest - What Pickups for my Starfire?
« on: April 04, 2017, 02:15:38 PM »
Looking for that Phil Lesh Starfire late 71 - 74 tone. I figure I should swap out the dark stars to try something new. What pickups should I try. Additionally, I'm not totally sure of the circuit to add. Currently my rig Starfire > Alembic F1X > CrownXLS1500 > fEARful 12/6

edwin

• club
Re: The age old Phil Lesh Quest - What Pickups for my Starfire?
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2017, 06:31:20 PM »
I think you know! Series II.

wisconsindeadd

• I'm New Here
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2017, 08:13:30 AM »
Can anyone tell me what Series 2 pickups are referred to as on the website? Where can I find a list of pickups, circuits and prices?

StephenR

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2017, 09:40:14 AM »
Not sure if you can buy Series electronics. If you want to add them to a build the charge on the custom quote generator varies a bit with the model and averages around $6,500. Below is a link to the pricing page for the retail electronics packages (doesn't include Series electronics). You may be able to do a custom order with MXY/AXY pickups and Signature or Anniversay electronics and they will make custom pickup shapes if the ones they offer won't swap directly for the dark stars. The Series pickups are true single coil pickups and have an extra adjustable hum cancelling pickup in the circuit the MXY/AXY pickups have the hum cancelling circuit built in. To my ears the Series pickups sound more open and rounded. Probably best to call and speak to Mica about your options including having them modify the bass.

I also think that the bridge and bridge block on the Starfire had a lot to do with why Phil's bass sounded the way it did.

http://www.alembic.com/prod/prices.html

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2017, 11:15:28 AM »
Another option would be the SF-2 Superfilter. It's basically the filters that are found in an Alembic in a an outboard rack mount unit. Here's one thread that talks about it and the various ways it can be used:

http://alembic.com/club/messages/393/212768.html?1447907966

They list for $1,675.00 but can be found used occasionally.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2017, 01:13:38 PM »
I don't believe Series 1 nor 2 are available for sale from Alembic unless you also have them do the install work (but I could be wrong). As I recall Ron custom sets up each set of Series electronics to the instrument to minimize external electrical/radio noise and interference.

If you wish to purchase electronics directly from Alembic for self install it would need to be one of the Activator packages. I didn't see any filter based ones on in the store so I would suggest contacting Alembic directly to see what is available and at what price. As far as non-Series electronics go the Anniversary set are the closest to a Series setup as you'll get (V/V/F/F, w/Q-switches and stereo/mono out).

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!