Author Topic: 82 Spoiler Rotary Pickup Selector Switch is loose in the mounting hole  (Read 321 times)

edflynn

The pickup selector switch works perfectly, rotating from Standby>Pickup 1>Both>Pickup 2, but is loose in the hole.  Before just tightening it, I took off the top nut and washer.

To me, the mounting hole is missing an insert of some kind.  Maybe someone rotated the 'pointy knob' and removed the insert?

What is the best way to repair this issue?

gtrguy

• club
Star washer on the back side.

edflynn

Thanks, that should work.  Wouldn't it still be prone to loosening over time, because of the rotary nature of the switch?

Does it look like the original mounting hole?  Everything else about the instrument seems to be more engineered 'not to fail'.

mica

• alembic
What you're probably experiencing is wood cell compression. Over time, under the pressure of the nut, the cell walls collapse and leave just a little space. If the space gets large enough, it can wiggle. This literally takes years to form. It happens on all the pots, switches, output jacks, and especially strap pins/locks. Just gently tighten the nut every decade or so and you'll be good to go.

On the the strap locks and pins, because of the combination of forces, especially on straplocks, you need to check these much more often. I recommend checking them once every month or two

edflynn

Thanks, Mica.

But, why is the mounting hole so much bigger that the shaft of the switch?  It's about 1/4" hole for a 1/8" shaft.

mica

• alembic
But the bushing is bigger than 1/8" - I can't tell from your images how much bigger than needed the hole is. If the hole is indeed too large, I would plug it, and drill the proper diameter hole and remount the switch. As to why, I'm not sure anyone can answer as to what happened 35 years ago up until you got the bass.

edflynn

Okay, thanks Mica.

I agree with your suggestion and it all makes sense now.

Probably, it worked correctly, maybe it got tightened a couple of times.  I took it apart because I'm curious and like to fix things.

JimmyJ

• club
I bet I know why.  Isn't that the original position of the output jack?

mica

• alembic
I kept looking at that too,Jimmy, but with the position of the battery I think it's the original location.

That hole isn't particularly round either. Musta been a bad day in routing if it left here that way!

keith_h

• club
If the switch has been moving around in the hole for a period of time I'd expect the threads to have acted as a file and worn the wood away.