Author Topic: Jumping back into the low end pool  (Read 670 times)

mayday4scott

Jumping back into the low end pool
« on: February 24, 2017, 10:08:37 AM »
Hi All,

I just purchased a used 1992 Essense in the original case and paperwork. This is a dream come true!
I started playing bass in the 70's while in Jr high school. (Didn't we all want to be rock stars!) I really got hooked and loved Fusion (RTF, Weather Report, Mahvishnu, etc) I took lessons, learned to site read and when I entered high school played in the school jazz band. My music teacher had me take a double bass home during the summer so I could learn to play and bow and came back and played in the symphony band as well......That was a long time ago.......
During my playing time I had a sunburst Precision with Dimarggio's. I wish I had kept it....I had always loved the sound of Stanley's Alembic and lusted after one, but knew that it would not be possible. During the 80's I picked up a Peavey T-40 from a local shop and messed around for awhile, but life got in the way and the bass got put away.
And now the rest of the story.......I found that T-40 at my Mom's house when I was cleaning it out, and decided to see if there was anything there.........I got the itch again!
After playing for awhile I started looking at basses and decided to search Alembic.......A local music store had an Essence on consignment, so I decided to go take a look. Wow, was I blown away! I intially wanted to see if I could find a Stanley bass, but after playing the Essence it just fit.....Love the body shape and the long scale neck, and each day I play it I am finding new tones and more joy......She's my baby...
I'm looking forward to a long relationship with her and many years of enjoyment.
Pictures attached.

Thanks for reading,

Scott

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
Re: Jumping back into the low end pool
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2017, 10:14:55 AM »
WOW - she's very pretty!  Looks to be in excellent condition, too - even has all the paperwork.  (Very unusual!)  Congrats, and welcome.

mayday4scott

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2017, 10:44:18 AM »
Thanks! Looking forward to learning all about Alembic from the group.

Jsn

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2017, 11:58:27 AM »
Did you buy that in San Jose? That looks like an exceptionally clean one. From what I understand, most Essences don't come with a case.

mayday4scott

« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2017, 01:12:15 PM »
Yes, I did..........Just lucked out that it was in my area and I could go to the shop and play it before I bought it.

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2017, 06:33:30 PM »
Excellent - I was just at Guitar Showcase the other day, but didn't make it in to the gallery room. You'll have to come to the next Gathering if you can!

Looks like a sweet bass - 25 years old no less!

mayday4scott

« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2017, 08:39:28 PM »
Hieronymous,
You called it! Guitar Showcase...I first saw it on Ebay and noticed it was at GS so I drove down to take a look.
When I got there they weren't sure what I was talking about so they called upstairs and it was sitting in an office. I think I lucked out because it didn't make it to the gallery....
What gathering are you referring to? If it's in the Bay Area would love to know more....
Let's say 25 years young! It makes me feel better. ;)

Jsn

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2017, 10:41:38 PM »
Scott, your Essence is the twin sister of my 91, right down to the accent stripe! I envy your case and the case candy. Enjoy--you have impeccable taste.

mayday4scott

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2017, 10:12:51 AM »
Thanks Jsn! I am fortunate that this came available. I don't think I could have designed a nicer looking bass on my own.
I took the bridge off and cleaned the oxidation and now it shines. Also Lemon oil on the neck and a new set of strings.
I look forward to playing it everyday.
Is your electronic set up still the same? I saw a post where they were talking about changing one of the knobs out?

dtothec

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2017, 01:27:45 PM »
Beautiful bass! Be careful these things are addictive you get one, then you need another, one then another one, well you get the picture! :-) Enjoy!
04 Buckeye Rogue
99 Zebrawood Orion
99 Quilted Maple Orion
11 Fodera Emperor 5 Deluxe Buckeye

Jsn

« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2017, 08:45:10 PM »
Thanks Jsn! I am fortunate that this came available. I don't think I could have designed a nicer looking bass on my own.
Is your electronic set up still the same? I saw a post where they were talking about changing one of the knobs out?

Hey, Scott. No, the electronics are unchanged, and the same as yours. Take the time to get familiar with that Q knob. Combined with the pickup balance, it can do a lot to change the tone. It's not a typical "tone" knob in that there's a volume boost at precisely the point where it cuts off, so there's an interesting quality of authority.

You couldn't have picked a better instrument to start playing again.

mayday4scott

« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2017, 09:22:57 AM »
Thanks for the info Jsn! I have been working with the knobs and am finding all kinds of unique and cool sounds.

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2017, 01:46:04 PM »
Check out the Gatherings thread: http://club.alembic.com/index.php?board=728.0

Not sure when the next one will be, but hope to see you when it does happen!

mayday4scott

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2017, 02:33:58 PM »
Thanks H!
I read through the threads and it looks like a good time.
I'll keep watching to see if something gets planned for 2017.