Author Topic: Zzzzzzzz... -Alembicize a Gibson Bass...  (Read 871 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
Re: Zzzzzzzz... -Alembicize a Gibson Bass...
« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2017, 08:34:22 AM »
Just to update-

De-Oxit seems to have made it better, but not 100%... sometimes it still cuts out. Repeat doses might solve that.

In the meantime, I've talked to HQ about a quote for some drop-in replacement pickups and Vol./Pan/Filt./Q-3 controls for them. Of course adding the Q-switch means having to drill an extra hole, but I can live with that... it's definitely worth it for the extra available tones. Besides, it's just one little tiny hole. ;)

Did some measuring, and there's plenty of room in the control cavity already. Don't think any routing will be needed, even with adding a 9v battery. (these basses were passive) The catch is the pickups themselves - a mold may have to be made. There's also a possibility if an existing pickup with a wide enough aperture can be used, I might could fit it into the stock covers. Sent those measurements too. So we'll see what comes back...

It's crazy I know... but I had to at least check.  ;D 

« Last Edit: February 08, 2017, 08:37:42 AM by edwardofhuncote »

David Houck

• club
« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2017, 08:48:15 PM »

:)

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2017, 08:08:25 AM »
I could have sworn they made a drop-in replacement Thunderbird Activator? OK, I looked, and there is something listed as "Gibson humbucker shape". But I think that's a regular guitar style humbucker now that I think about it... http://alembic.com/prod/pickups.html