Author Topic: Hello from Brazil  (Read 518 times)

Dm1

Hello from Brazil
« on: January 05, 2017, 08:29:39 AM »
Hello everyone,

First, excuse me for any english mistakes, as it is not my first language. I bought my first Alembic and found out about this place by searching on what black magic spell is needed to take off the knobs, I have since learned a lot reading through the old posts, and Mica has given me a lot of info based on my bass' serial number.

It is a funny story how l came to buy my Excel, I walked in a random music shop for a boss bcb-30 pedal case, and saw it hanging on the wall. l've heard before about Alembics, but never knew much about them, except they sounded nice on some southern rock bands I've heard. l asked if l could grab it and play and it was love at first sight. I have no words to describe how confortable is the neck profile, the sound had something to it, but l couldnt tell what, because they wouldn't let me crank up the amp. I spent the next month pestering them about the price and finally got a nice deal last week. Two days later I took it to my gig, for a trial by fire. And boy.. did it deliver...

The guitar player had a 50w plexi cranked to eleven, and it was the first time he couldn't drown me. Here are a couple of pics for you guys.

elwoodblue

• club
Re: Hello from Brazil
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 08:44:55 AM »
Nice to have ya here Dm1,
Cool pics too  ;D ,

Elwood

Dm1

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2017, 11:37:06 AM »
Nice to have ya here Dm1,
Cool pics too  ;D ,

Elwood

Cheers!  ;D

Enzo

• club
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2017, 06:08:12 PM »
Welcome aboard. I'm pretty sure this will not be your last Alembic because they are very addictive.

mario_farufyno

• club
« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2017, 08:15:39 AM »
Bem vindo Daniel, de onde você é? Somos minoria absoluta aqui no clube, mas passou da hora de conseguirmos fazer um Alembic Gathering brazuka (sou de Sampa)... os caras já fizeram uns encontros incríveis. Essa comunidade tem membros que dividem muito generosamente seu conhecimento sobre os Alembic, mas também sobre música, técnica e eletrônica. Busque conhecer as seções "must read", "faq" e "troubleshooting", há muita conversa antiga arquivada com informações
muito úteis.

Welcome, Daniel, which state are you from? We brazilians are absolute minority here in the club, but it's past time to make our own brazilian alembic gathering (I'm from Sao Paulo, by the way)... guys here have already made some incredible USA meetings (as far as my imagination could figure out when I saw meetings pics they'd took). This community has members who gracefully share a lot of their deep knowledge about the alembic, but also about music, technique and electronics, great guys. Look for the "must read", "faq" and "troubleshooting" sections, there are lots of very useful tips and hints in some old threads.

Glad that you became a "believer", there is nothing like an Alembic! My english is probably worst than yours but all people around here are very generous and attentive, you'll quickly fell yourself home.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2017, 08:38:22 AM by mario_farufyno »
Not just a bass, this is an Alembic!

Dm1

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2017, 10:29:55 AM »
Welcome aboard. I'm pretty sure this will not be your last Alembic because they are very addictive.

Please no, I don't think my wallet can take anymore hahah

Dm1

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2017, 11:24:32 AM »
Bem vindo Daniel, de onde você é? Somos minoria absoluta aqui no clube, mas passou da hora de conseguirmos fazer um Alembic Gathering brazuka (sou de Sampa)... os caras já fizeram uns encontros incríveis. Essa comunidade tem membros que dividem muito generosamente seu conhecimento sobre os Alembic, mas também sobre música, técnica e eletrônica. Busque conhecer as seções "must read", "faq" e "troubleshooting", há muita conversa antiga arquivada com informações
muito úteis.

Welcome, Daniel, which state are you from? We brazilians are absolute minority here in the club, but it's past time to make our own brazilian alembic gathering (I'm from Sao Paulo, by the way)... guys here have already made some incredible USA meetings (as far as my imagination could figure out when I saw meetings pics they'd took). This community has members who gracefully share a lot of their deep knowledge about the alembic, but also about music, technique and electronics, great guys. Look for the "must read", "faq" and "troubleshooting" sections, there are lots of very useful tips and hints in some old threads.

Glad that you became a "believer", there is nothing like an Alembic! My english is probably worst than yours but all people around here are very generous and attentive, you'll quickly fell yourself home.

Hello Mario, Thanks! I live in Brasília, so unfortunately, too far to take part in a meeting as I believe, most of Alembics in Brazil are in the southeast region. I've taken a lot of time to read the sections you pointed out, and have some bookmarked for when I have my amp back from the technician. Specially the technique sections, as I've been feeling like an 18yo with the keys to a Ferrari  :-X

Oi Mario, obrigado pelas boas vindas! Eu moro em Brasília, então fica meio dificil participar de algum eventual encontro, já que eu acredito que a maioria dos Alembics aqui do BR estão ai pelo sudeste. Assim que entrei no club eu fui devorar justamente esses subfóruns que você falou. Descobri o clube justamente procurando como tirar os knobs dos potenciômetros. Achei que estivessem colados.

Abraços

mario_farufyno

• club
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2017, 07:16:46 AM »
Hahaha, many of us had hard times trying figure out how to unmount Alembic knobs, too. In my first time, I pulled it off by force just to realize how big was my mistake and how lucky I was, since it didn't damaged pot post! Alembic are so unique that can be deceiving to someone used to ordinary basses.

My Rogue had its PU's screws set wrong by former owner and the ferrite bead was missing. But that was fortunate to me, though, since this made it very noisy and dropped down its price a lot. I've never imagined that could afford an Alembic here in Brazil but was a lucky chance that former owner didn't knew how properly keep the bass (we're used to pay at least 4 times what an american has to pay on any piece of gear and since our average incomes are so low, stores simply doesn't import top instruments regularly). I'd payed almost the same what a brand new Squire would cost me... yeah, sometimes fortune blesses us.

Mica and some club members were all so patiente and attentive in helping me to bring it back in shape that I can't be grateful enough. I don't know any company who would gave such support!
« Last Edit: January 11, 2017, 07:21:05 AM by mario_farufyno »

mario_farufyno

• club
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2017, 07:23:41 AM »
Loved the Ferrari comparision, ha ha ha

smokin_dave

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2017, 02:34:12 PM »
Welcome DM1 and I have to echo Mario's statement on Alembic customer service and support.They are simply the best company to work with in that regard.Period.I've had my minor problems with my Rogue and SF-2/F-1
X and Mica and company didn't bat an eye or delay to sort any problem I may have had.Very prompt and friendly as all get out.

I dig that Excel you've latched on too.

Dm1

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2017, 07:00:17 AM »
Hahaha, many of us had hard times trying figure out how to unmount Alembic knobs, too. In my first time, I pulled it off by force just to realize how big was my mistake and how lucky I was, since it didn't damaged pot post! Alembic are so unique that can be deceiving to someone used to ordinary basses.

My Rogue had its PU's screws set wrong by former owner and the ferrite bead was missing. But that was fortunate to me, though, since this made it very noisy and dropped down its price a lot. I've never imagined that could afford an Alembic here in Brazil but was a lucky chance that former owner didn't knew how properly keep the bass (we're used to pay at least 4 times what an american has to pay on any piece of gear and since our average incomes are so low, stores simply doesn't import top instruments regularly). I'd payed almost the same what a brand new Squire would cost me... yeah, sometimes fortune blesses us.

Mica and some club members were all so patiente and attentive in helping me to bring it back in shape that I can't be grateful enough. I don't know any company who would gave such support!

An alembic for the price of a Squier??? Thats a steal, even if it was in need of repair. I am very happy to hear such praise about the people at alembic. I have already sent Mica an email asking for what I need. Namely some screws and a new headstock logo, might need a new pot, but the jury is still out on that one.