Author Topic: Alembic Holiday gigs?  (Read 654 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Alembic Holiday gigs?
« on: December 19, 2016, 07:43:41 AM »
Played the last official gig of 2016 yesterday evening, at Chaos Mountain, a local micro-brewery with a pretty good-sized music venue.

This one was with my side-gig, the Harwell-Grice Band... I'm the substitute bass player, but probably play with them more than their regular guy does. I really enjoy playing with these guys... a couple of them are old friends of mine, and for bonus points, they all get along well too... no dinner theater or egomania to deal with. They work for a booking agent who keeps them fairly busy, plus they pick up a bunch of private stuff. The music is pretty good too... they do a kinda' newgrassy take on rock covers, with a good helpin' of Grateful Dead and The Band thrown in. (prime hunting ground for my Alembics!)

Anyway, it's been a good year, for me and the Persuader 5-string. Here's where we did business last night... note the clutter on top of my amp. Aspirin, check. Goody's Headache Powders, check. Oatmeal/Raisin CliffBar, yep. Pack of Cinnamon Dentyne, go. Sugar-free PowerAde for chaser, gotcha' covered. Other than the essentials, there's an MXR chorus and compressor pedal in the chain, my Minotaur strap, (hat-tip Jazzyvee) and one of those new breakaway safety cables. Let's play!  :D

Frontman Josh Grice, (rhythm guitar and lead vocals) committed a photo-bomb dressed as the Gingerbread Man. Josh, by-the-way, is why I made up those breakaway guitar cables. He's like the Tasmanian Devil on a Red Bull binge.

*Oh yeah, the Chaos Brew Crew has a wookie guarding the kegs.

« Last Edit: December 19, 2016, 07:46:53 AM by edwardofhuncote »

jacko

• club
Re: Alembic Holiday gigs?
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2016, 12:41:48 AM »
Looks fun  ;D

Graeme

David Houck

• club
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2016, 03:19:02 PM »
Nice picture of the bass and the bassplayer.

I'm pretty sure the bassplayers' union has a rule about doing gigs with a singer dressed as a gingerbread man.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2016, 04:09:36 PM »
Josh is a hoot-n-a-half... he can do a mash-up of Old Joe Clark and Gin-n-Juice, and often goes further than that based upon the demographic of whatever audience we're playing to.  ::)  Gabe, a multi-instrumentalist/singer is a huge Dead fan, so I get some of that in too. Two of the other regular go-to 'subs' are guys I've gigged with for 20+ years, so it's like a reunion every so often.

Seriously, all those guys are just generally fun to be around... I truly look forward to gigging with them again next year.  :)

Anyone else got a gig over the Holidays? A combination of players from a couple bluegrass and oldtyme bands I play with are going to put on a set of Carols at the local Rescue Mission on Christmas Eve-eve... tough room, but rewarding in and of itself.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2017, 06:31:49 AM »
Just bumping last year's thread...

I've got a pretty decent schedule of Holiday gigs again this year, most of which are traditional carols where I'm bowing the upright as part of a string section, but beginning next weekend our annual Christmas Band is starting a run of shows that is a contemporary (and 100% original) take on the classic "Nine Lessons and Carols" . The show runs about 1 hr, 20 min. most of which I'll be on bass guitar for, right next a percussionist I really enjoy playing with. For the congregational hymns, I'll switch to upright. Wardrobe change!  ;D

Then Harwell-Grice Band has a big Christmas Party to play in mid-December hosted by a local micro-brewery, (kind of their hometown crowd) which will wind up a very good year.  :)

What are you guys up to this year?

the_home

« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2017, 06:17:44 PM »
Love your annual report. Oddly enough, my Dead cover assembly (the Dead Fellows) regularly slips into Gin & Juice from any number of opening tunes.
Essence 5; Spoiler 5(BigRedBass); Essence 4; Spoiler Exploiter 4; what's next?