Author Topic: As per my user name, I have arrived.  (Read 600 times)

epicowner

As per my user name, I have arrived.
« on: December 14, 2016, 07:33:55 AM »
This is a significant moment, to be able to introduce myself to this very esteemed group. Perhaps the most exclusive thing I have ever done in my life as a bassist, I am now an owner of one of the finest basses known to man, and it's been a long, strange trip as the Deadheads have long described. I've logged at least 50-odd instruments along the way, and when one of the oldest musical friends I've ever had (he's a dentist) bought a careworn Series 1, I was moved to at least dip my toes into the soothing waters of this experience.

My first exposure to Alembic was in the mid-70s, when an Alembic seminar was announced to be held at Fast Ed's Ye Olde Music Shop in Marissa, lL. Formerly owned by Bob Heil of Heil Sound fame, this was an oasis in the middle of a vast Illinoisian cornfield that was commonly frequented by the most prominent musicians in our sphere. Doors would close and magic would occur (it was the 70's after all) if your timing was right.

The seminar featured a lovely 8-string with 48 pieces of laminated wood, LED's for fret markers, and a then-hefty $8000 price tag. I was googawed, and from that moment till now always dreamed of an Alembic while playing Gibsons, countless Fenders and Ricks along the way.

For me, as a bassist, it's always been the quality of tone that's been at the heart of my search, and forty years later...

I have arrived.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2016, 07:49:22 AM by epicowner »

tbrannon

• club
Re: As per my user name, I have arrived.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 08:02:07 AM »
That is a GORGEOUS Epic.  Bubinga top?

dtothec

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 09:12:42 AM »
Welcome!  You can definately say your first but but like a lot of us it's probably not your last!
04 Buckeye Rogue 5
99 Zebrawood Orion 5
11 Fodera Emperor 5 Deluxe Buckeye
04 Nordstrand Adrian Garcia 5

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 10:27:57 AM »
Brilliant,  you shall log hundreds of hours of pleasure with that Epic.
Very attractive top, same wood on the back?
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2016, 11:48:42 AM »
"There is a road, no simple highway..."

Welcome, glad you made it!   :)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2016, 05:06:12 PM »
Welcome - Congratulations & Compliments!  :)

mario_farufyno

• club
« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2016, 05:46:34 AM »
beautifull top
Not just a bass, this is an Alembic!

epicowner

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2016, 07:39:36 AM »
That is a GORGEOUS Epic.  Bubinga top?
Walnut!

epicowner

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2016, 07:40:48 AM »
Welcome!  You can definately say your first but but like a lot of us it's probably not your last!
I will always be striving for that elusive Series 1 that fits what could be poorly described as a budget.

epicowner

« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2016, 07:41:20 AM »
Brilliant,  you shall log hundreds of hours of pleasure with that Epic.
Very attractive top, same wood on the back?
Yes.

epicowner

« Reply #10 on: December 15, 2016, 07:46:52 AM »
Thank you all for the kindly welcome.

I'm not too DIY-techy despite a goodly stint as a local crew backline tech working with bigs for a few years, mostly setting up rigs, not so much axes.

Despite that, I've glanced at stickies and plan to get down to the heart of a thorough setup plan and dial in this fantastic specimen.

I welcome all to participate in my posts and without knowing youse yet, I know that I'm among many kindreds here.

What an awesome place to exchange info! I have a million rock stories, some from experiences I've actually had (hehe!)!

dead_head

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2016, 06:22:05 PM »
Welcome and congratulations!

Rob 

epicowner

« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2016, 04:21:37 PM »
Love me some Dead, Head. I saw Jerry once, on July 6, 1995, at Riverport Ampitheater, St. Louis, MO, on what was also my 48th birthday. As you know, there was a tragic collapse of a balcony at a show weeks before that, and the band had issued a cease-and-desist letter to their fans at large demanding that gate-crashing, unregistered vending, and general unlawful behavior would no longer be tolerated. It was a tough time for the band, and Jerry died two weeks after the only time I ever got to see him. He stood on a non-skid mat (like in your car floor) for the entire show and did not venture from it.

He could not have been well, but he performed.

edwin

• club
« Reply #13 on: December 20, 2016, 07:51:51 PM »
Love me some Dead, Head. I saw Jerry once, on July 6, 1995, at Riverport Ampitheater, St. Louis, MO, on what was also my 48th birthday. As you know, there was a tragic collapse of a balcony at a show weeks before that, and the band had issued a cease-and-desist letter to their fans at large demanding that gate-crashing, unregistered vending, and general unlawful behavior would no longer be tolerated. It was a tough time for the band, and Jerry died two weeks after the only time I ever got to see him. He stood on a non-skid mat (like in your car floor) for the entire show and did not venture from it.

He could not have been well, but he performed.

The non-skid mat was actually the gate trigger to open the microphone so he could sing. It was a trick they picked up back in the 70s. The way it's supposed to work, though, is that if you aren't going to sing, you step off the mat so the mic turns off. It was a bummer to see what happened to him. I first saw him in '76 and he was the very definition of life and being present. Watching him, Jaco, and Gil Scott-Heron all go down in the 80s was almost unbearable.

But, a lovely bass!