Author Topic: Tummy & Elbow Contour on a small body Series bass?  (Read 915 times)

Bob_Ross

Tummy & Elbow Contour on a small body Series bass?
« on: December 13, 2016, 08:49:02 AM »
So, at least according to the Alembic online Custom Quote Generator, it's possible to order a Series bass in a standard small body and add both tummy and elbow contours.

Conceptually I find this idea very appealing: I love the look of the standard small body, but I know I tend to prefer instruments that are not a constant thickness; I find contoured bodies much more comfortable

Thing is, I've never seen a standard small body with either tummy or elbow contours, much less both.

Can anyone confirm that yes indeed Alembic will make a standard small body with both tummy and elbow contours, and, perhaps more importantly, can anyone provide pics?

Thanks.

lidon2001

• club
Re: Tummy & Elbow Contour on a small body Series bass?
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2016, 06:49:26 PM »
Hello Bob, welcome to the club.

With the size of a small body and the electronics in the body wings, I would think that any contouring would be minimal at best.  Not much extra room to take anything off.

T
2005 MK Deluxe SSB, 2006 Custom Amboyna Essence MSB, Commissioned Featured Custom Pele

mica

• alembic
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2016, 07:01:12 PM »
I'm looking through my image library. I know we've done this before, I just have to find the picture!

lidon2001

• club
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2016, 09:31:52 AM »
Thanks Mica!

T
2005 MK Deluxe SSB, 2006 Custom Amboyna Essence MSB, Commissioned Featured Custom Pele

Enzo

• club
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2016, 11:14:41 AM »
Consider also that any wood/weight you remove from the body will increase the balance towards the head. Short scales need a little attention to that factor but, of course, the type of wood and its density plays a role too.
If only the damn Schaller would start distribute the light version of its tuners...end of rant.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2016, 02:09:04 PM »
<with apologies for brief hijack>   :-X

Enzo, when I started thinking about offsetting weight on my custom, I discovered Schaller makes an M4 "lite"... link is in the first post of this thread: http://club.alembic.com/index.php?topic=442.msg2046#msg2046 ...may or may not be what you're thinking of.

Back to the OP - as has already been said, no doubt Alembic can (and sounds like probably already has) done body contours on a small standard. They'll let you know if something is wildly impractical even if do-able. ;)

Bob_Ross

« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2016, 09:03:19 AM »
I'm looking through my image library. I know we've done this before, I just have to find the picture!

That would be great, I'd love to see one, thanks!

I did see a large body with the tummy cut on the CME website, where they have several pics of that lovely Buckeye Burl Mark King 4-string. Seems to be a fairly subtle tummy cut, not nearly as deep/wide as a typical Fender, yes?

mica

• alembic
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2016, 02:38:19 PM »
Yeah, the cuts are certainly more subtle since the bodies are already hollow - don't want to carve down too far and make a peek-a-boo bass :) We can make the body solid and then carve out a deeper contour.

Bob_Ross

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2016, 12:43:18 PM »
We can make the body solid and then carve out a deeper contour.

With a small body Series I?

sonofa_lembic

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2017, 03:37:12 PM »
Seen it....definitely don't dig it.  Not all that critical on a body that small.  To really use the tummy cut, the bass would be in your armpit.

Bob_Ross

« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2017, 07:10:43 AM »
@Mica just wondering if you found any pics in your library? I'm having a hard time picturing what these basses would look like with the contours. Thanks.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2017, 11:42:30 AM »
This is probably the nearest I can think of with a small body style with contours.
it's an EVH Signature bass with a small body with the exception of an extended upper horn and cutaway at the bottom, the body size looks pretty much the same as a shorty series bass.

This should give you some idea of what a contour might look like on your bass.

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/244052-sold-alembic-evh-signature-5-sold-thank-tou/

This is one type of elbow contour on a small bodied Alembic bass which I think would be anniversary model prepped for series upgrade.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2017, 06:50:19 PM by jazzyvee »
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!