Author Topic: Tribute to my Dad  (Read 1013 times)

FC Bass

• club
Tribute to my Dad
« on: November 15, 2016, 04:51:40 PM »
So my dad passed away on October 23...  :'(

He had a kidney removed 5 years ago and after that ordeal everything seemed ok, but a couple of months ago he started to complain about pain in his lower back.
On October 4 they removed some tissue from his spine and we got the lab results on October 14 (tragically, my sisters birthday) 
We were told it was a leftover (propagation/ metastasis?) of the tumor that was removed 5 years ago and they told him he had only a few weeks left to live…
October 19 he went into hospice care and he died in his sleep in the morning of October 23, just two months shy of his 66th birthday... :-(
We were there and he opened his eyes just before he passed away, it looked like he was aware of our presence and he left us very peacefully.

Note: This is the only place on the internet where I’ll share this story; I normally refrain as much as possible from getting too personal online. I mainly abuse the internet for promoting my musical activities and to share my love for the equipment I use (mainly Alembic & Mesa)
The Alembic club is a special place on the www (thanx Mica & crew!) so I thought this is a good place to let off some steam.

So now me and my Sister are the owner of the (most likely) oldest and (for sure) most beautiful house in my hometown.
Most likely this house will be sold in the next couple of years, it is not practical for my Sister and too precious for me. (you can see why here: link)

Now we’ve made it to the dreaming for now part.

When the funds clear, I will have a bass build in memory of my Dad. Totally inspired by Danno’s “Kay” which was an extremely touching read when that featured Custom was revealed.

So I was thinking of this:

Spoiler 5 string
Spoiler body shape with heart Omega
Flame Koa front + back
Koa body with ebony/maple veneers/accents (chambered body as Series I/II)
Orion 3+2 headstock
Comfort taper 32 inch scale
Flame maple neck with Ebony lams (dare I ask if the Maple can be replaced with a Koa neck?)
Amber side leds
Inlaid logo with rays and script
Gold plated hardware
Series II electronics
Nameplate with my Dads name under the 24th fret

Not sure about the oval inlays yet, golden mop would look nice I guess but I also love the black mop. Other features will be the standard ‘lembic features and maybe some I forgot or will think of in the next couple of months.
Suggestions are always welcome. :--)

Vague picture of me with my Dad:

(not to be confused with my musician "Dad" which is my Mothers husband since 1984, my parents divorced in 1980)
Damaged Justice, Dutch 'tallica tribute: Website, Facebook, Youtube

'79 Series I
'83 Spoiler
'88 Spoiler
'99 Orion 5 fretless
'10 Elan 5

elwoodblue

• club
Re: Tribute to my Dad
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2016, 06:03:15 PM »
FC, I'm so sorry to hear that news, my greatest condolences to you and your sister.
Many wishes of great health to you so you can share what's in your head and heart for
many decades going forward.
 (p.s. my b-day is also Oct 14)
Kris (aka Elwood)

adriaan

• club
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2016, 11:50:46 PM »
Yep, life has a way of moving on. You know roughly how you got to where you are now, and you may have some idea of where you want to go, so you might as well celebrate the transition with something memorable.

(Too many Oct 14 birthdays, if you ask me.)

edwardofhuncote

• club
« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2016, 12:31:13 AM »
Flip, awfully sorry to hear this news... my condolences Buddy. Been wondering where you've been for a while. :'(

I salute your idea to commission bass in your Dad's memory... what a great idea! I'm sure Mica and Susan will make it a tribute for the ages. Sounds like a fascinating bass too... an Omega-cut Series II equipped Spoiler 5-string... that's so exactly you! I look forward to the build thread.  ;)

Again, my heartfelt condolences man... you're right - this is a special place, and I wouldn't be here if it weren't for your help.

~Gregory

mtjam

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016, 02:37:20 AM »
I am sorry for the loss of your father. I think your idea for a bass honoring his memory is great!

hammer

• club
« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2016, 07:06:06 AM »
So sorry for the loss of your father.  Our condolences to your entire family.  Having an instrument made in your Dad's memory will be a great way to celebrate his life and all that he gave to you, your sister, and the rest of the family.

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #6 on: November 16, 2016, 07:46:23 AM »
My condolences, as well, sir.  At 68 years old myself... I'm beginning to realize how lucky I am.

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2016, 08:12:43 AM »
Sorry to hear FC. I just lost my father-in-law on Oct. 12. However, he was 89. Not that there's ever a good age to die... As they say - don't complain about getting old, because some people don't get the opportunity. At 52, I've officially outlived my own father.  :-\

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2016, 11:29:08 AM »
Condolences to you and your family.  The tribute bass you described sounds wonderful!

keith_h

• club
« Reply #9 on: November 16, 2016, 01:39:45 PM »
Flip,
I'm sorry to hear about your father. My father died ten years ago from Renal Cancer. I think your idea of building a bass in his memory is a good idea and thoughtful way to use proceeds from the house.

I followed your link and the house that is pictured is beautiful. It is too bad something couldn't be worked out to keep it in the family.

jazzyvee

• club
    • NotStrictlyJazz
« Reply #10 on: November 16, 2016, 01:47:55 PM »
Real sad to hear the news about your fathers passing Flip. I think it's great that you will be having a bass made in his memory, it is something a few members here have done in the past and true tributes to their loved ones.  A suggestion would be if your father had a favourite piece of jewellery or something like that which possibly could be inlaid somewhere in the bass to make that connection stronger. Maybe on the back of the headstock so  you get to see it when you are playing rather than on the front. Take care and enjoy the memories my condolences go out to you and  your family.
The sound of Alembic is medicine for the soul!

mica

• alembic
« Reply #11 on: November 16, 2016, 04:30:27 PM »
Sorry the hear of your loss, Flip. The swiftness of our daily lives really slows when someone we love passes. Breathe deeply, my friend! Please give our condolences to your family.

dead_head

• club
« Reply #12 on: November 16, 2016, 05:42:43 PM »
My condolences on the loss of your father, Flip. Your plans to build a bass honoring his memory is a great idea. Best Wishes to you and your sister.

Rob   

David Houck

• club
« Reply #13 on: November 16, 2016, 08:00:37 PM »
That is a beautiful picture of you and your dad.

You are in my heart.

mario_farufyno

• club
« Reply #14 on: November 17, 2016, 12:50:14 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Flip... and thanks for sharing. All my best thoughts to your family.
Not just a bass, this is an Alembic!