Author Topic: Pyramid Gold Flats on an Alembic?  (Read 2406 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Pyramid Gold Flats on an Alembic?
« Reply #15 on: October 22, 2016, 07:15:24 PM »
Hey, thanks for the link Rob. The 5-string set is $103, but that's still cheaper than the best deal I've seen. Occasionally Best Bass Gear has them for $115.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #16 on: October 29, 2017, 10:46:15 AM »
Dug up this old thread for a purpose...

Just got a good deal on some new strings, so I'm going to give Pyramid Gold flats a shot on my Custom fretless "Chain-Links". I also have a new set of D'Addario Chromes to try.

The last set of Pyramids I had were .045 - .125, and I didn't care for them much at all on my Persuader, but this set is lighter gauge, (.040 - .120) so I'm hoping they'll feel a little bit softer. I tried them on my Distillate for a while, and heard them in a totally different, positive way... maybe AXY's respond differently to them than the P/J shaped activators? ???  My Custom has an AXY at the neck, and a FatBoy at the bridge, so maybe a winning combination.

Unless I hate 'em,  I'll give them a couple months, then try the Chromes for a while. May well end up right back where I started with TI Jazz Flats, but  we'll see.  ;)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 10:52:58 AM by edwardofhuncote »

hammer

• club
« Reply #17 on: October 29, 2017, 02:39:13 PM »
I've tried a lot of different strings with a lot of different Alembics over the years.  TI-flats are definitely my choice, with Pyramid Golds #2. I tried D- Chromes on a number of different basses and they just seemed to lack bottom to me (especially on my Series basses).  Nice tension (Yes the TI-Flats area bit floppy especially on the 6-string), but seemed to naturally have too much mid and not enough deep bass.

REALLY looking forward to getting home and actually playing one of my basses again.  Been on the road again this time for 3-weeks doing work in Kiev, Zaporizhia, Pokrovs'ke, & Kharkiv, Ukraine.  Great people, but it felt like it got a little sketchy as we were heading to Pokrovs'ke which is in the Donetsk/DonBass breakaway region and got caught up in a m[/size]ilitary convoy of 30 artillery pieces heading heading for the front.[/font]
[/size]

[/size]

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #18 on: October 29, 2017, 05:29:39 PM »
For what it's worth, Gregory - I've been using Chromes on my 5-string for a little more than a year now (not the same set!) and I definitely like 'em a lot.  They're certainly more affordable, and haven't had the bottom end problem that "hammer" refers to.  I prefer the flat-sound, as the original Alembic Strings were just a bit more twangy than I found usable.  Everyone's situation is different, though, not even to mention the whole amplifier variable.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #19 on: October 29, 2017, 05:54:02 PM »
I recently got to play another fretless Alembic strung with Chromes, and was quite impressed. That's kinda' what started me thinking about it. I'll definitely give them a shot too, Growly.  ;)

I actually have D'Addario Chromes on my DeArmond Starfire II, and on an old Gibson Q-80... other than the higher tension I like them fine - no complaints, but those two basses are radically different, both from each other and my Alembics.  (although that Q-80 has a very interesting quality about it... I swear it doesn't respond like a passive bass at all)

I'll post a few thoughts here after tryouts are done. Another nice thing about Alembics... changing out strings is a snap. 8)
« Last Edit: October 29, 2017, 05:57:14 PM by edwardofhuncote »

hammer

• club
« Reply #20 on: October 30, 2017, 04:30:28 PM »
I would definitely agree with Dan (Growlypants) that a lot depends on one's amp and speakers.  I'm using Phil Jones cabs which are composed of a large number of 5 inch speakers  (current cabs have 8 - top and bottom - 16) as opposed to 12s or 15s and this may be the difference between the sound I hear and what Dan hears coming out of his rig.  I also prefer the TI flats because of their subjective "feel" and the light technique I find myself using.

dtothec

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2017, 09:45:18 AM »
I have TI flats on my Buckeye Rogue 5 and really like them. I put a set of gold flats on my Fodera 5 and really liked them but I ended up putting round wounds back on it to get a brighter sound. For the money I think they are pretty close to TI flats.
04 Buckeye Rogue 5
14 Adamovic The Dark 5 single Cut
11 Fodera Emperor 5 Deluxe Buckeye
04 Nordstrand Adrian Garcia 5

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2017, 05:16:00 PM »
Love flats :)
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 05:24:01 PM by rv_bass »

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2017, 07:33:54 PM »
Just got the Pyramid Gold flats in the mail yesterday... (Thanks Chicago Music Exchange!)

Took a little time this evening to install a new battery, slick up the fingerboard and put the new strings on, just in time for a double-header with Harwell-Grice Band and New River Bound tomorrow...

Does anybody know why Pyramid strings are so dirty right outta' the package?  I wonder if it's some kind of grease to prevent tarnish or corrosion. I used a little acetone to clean the scunge off before trimming and winding.

So "Chain-Links" is wearing purple silk now.  ;D

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2017, 07:55:22 PM »
Looks great!  I noticed the residue on the new pyramid flats too.  I wonder if it’s residue from the “polishing” process and they don’t wipe them down before packaging.  It wears off pretty quickly though.

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2017, 06:05:22 AM »
Good Lord, that's a magnificent bass.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

edwin

• club
« Reply #26 on: November 05, 2017, 04:05:27 PM »
I definitely get black fingertips after installing a new set, but considering that it goes away in an hour or two and I change my strings every 5 years, it's a tiny part of their life!

dtothec

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #27 on: November 06, 2017, 12:50:28 PM »
Greg, please let us know what your thoughts on them?
04 Buckeye Rogue 5
14 Adamovic The Dark 5 single Cut
11 Fodera Emperor 5 Deluxe Buckeye
04 Nordstrand Adrian Garcia 5

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #28 on: November 06, 2017, 01:12:57 PM »

Initially, positive feelings Darrell. I played it for two (75 minute) sets with Harwell-Grice Band Saturday afternoon, and my left hand was quite tired from the extra effort required to play 'clean' notes. The bias on Pyramids vs. TI's is interesting. Pyramid Golds are much brighter on the trebles, but much more dull on the basses. That isn't meant to say they lack definition... in fact, I believe the lowest notes may have more clear fundamentals. TI's are opposite this, to my ears... the low end is almost too zingy, and the trebles seem to impart a little less sparkle. With either one, there is a response curve thst can be used advantageously. I'd almost like to mix a set, with Pyramid Gold B, E, A, and Thomastik-Infeld D, and G strings. Might do that later, but for now;

I'm still adjusting the action to compensate for the higher tension. I took some relief out of the neck, then raised the bridge just a smidge to get rid of some slap. I'll be working on some Christmas music this evening, and tomorrow, so I'll get some playing time in with the adjusted setup.

edwin

• club
« Reply #29 on: November 06, 2017, 05:27:49 PM »

Initially, positive feelings Darrell. I played it for two (75 minute) sets with Harwell-Grice Band Saturday afternoon, and my left hand was quite tired from the extra effort required to play 'clean' notes. The bias on Pyramids vs. TI's is interesting. Pyramid Golds are much brighter on the trebles, but much more dull on the basses. That isn't meant to say they lack definition... in fact, I believe the lowest notes may have more clear fundamentals. TI's are opposite this, to my ears... the low end is almost too zingy, and the trebles seem to impart a little less sparkle. With either one, there is a response curve thst can be used advantageously. I'd almost like to mix a set, with Pyramid Gold B, E, A, and Thomastik-Infeld D, and G strings. Might do that later, but for now;

I'm still adjusting the action to compensate for the higher tension. I took some relief out of the neck, then raised the bridge just a smidge to get rid of some slap. I'll be working on some Christmas music this evening, and tomorrow, so I'll get some playing time in with the adjusted setup.

You'll need to go through the break in period. The strings start clearing up, especially the low end. They lose the dull sound after a bit.