Author Topic: Pyramid Gold Flats on an Alembic?  (Read 2408 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Pyramid Gold Flats on an Alembic?
« on: October 12, 2016, 03:56:30 PM »
I've played Thomastik-Infeld Jazz Flats for ages... love 'em. Don't really love forking over $135 a set, but the good news is I'm not hard on strings so it's not like that happens much.

Recently I got a set of Pyramid Golds from another Club member here, who they didn't work out for, and tried them on my (medium-scale) Distillate... they're different for sure. I really prefer rounds on the Distillate, since I'm mostly playing it with a pick. I tried a few different sets before settling on TI Jazz Rounds for it. 

So I'm wondering now, about trying them either on my Persuader 5-string, or maybe on the new Custom Fretless. The Pyramids are only marginally cheaper, for what it's worth, price alone is not enough difference to be a deal-breaker.

Any of you tried these, specifically on a 32" scale Alembic? Any thoughts or opinions appreciated. Firsthand experience on fretless Alembics gets extra credit.  ;)

edwin

• club
Re: Pyramid Gold Flats on an Alembic?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016, 04:06:12 PM »
I haven't tried them on an Alembic per se, but they sound fantastic on my Starfire with Series II pickups, etc., and I just put a 6 string set on my 1983 Modulus bass (which now has Alembic pickups).

I think Alembic pickups and electronics and Pyramid strings are a perfect match.

If you need a custom length or gauge, get in touch with Max at the factory.

My number one string is the DR Sunbeam, but these really rule the flat wound world for me.

flpete1uw

• club
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016, 06:31:17 PM »
Gregory,
 For what it's worth I to like using nickel rounds on my Distillate.
I was searching in almost vain to get the right strings for my Series 1 short scale until a club member offered up his unused TI Jazz flats JF324. I can't see using anything else on this bass now.
Wouldn't mind trying the Pyramids but the TI's nailed it for me.

A lot of money could be spent trying to find the right strings!
Pete
« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:33:06 PM by flpete1uw »

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2016, 06:48:30 PM »
I use Pyramid Gold Flats on my current Alembic (Series 1 LSB)  and previous Alembics (Series 1 MSB and Orion). Every now and then I try a different brand, but always end up going back to Pyramid Flats, I just love the way they sound on Alembics, and on my '67 Starfire as well! Although I don't think you could go wrong using either TIs or Pyramids, they are both great sounding flatwound strings.

Try Strings and Beyond for decent pricing:

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/

« Last Edit: October 12, 2016, 06:53:44 PM by rv_bass »

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2016, 11:56:59 AM »
Thanks Fellas.  ;)
This is probably one of those situations where I can't go but so wrong... since I already sent a new set of the TI-JF's out to Mica for my new bass, might as well just stick with that plan. I like the feel of these Pyramid Golds, but as Pete pointed out, the Distillate seems to like those nickel rounds better. I may just put the 5-string set of Pyramids on the Persuader for a while.
Hey, you know... it'll be all the more fun trying different strings out on the new bass. It'll come with something familiar to start with, so I'll have a baseline to compare against.

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2016, 12:49:13 PM »
Has anyone tried both the TI jazz rounds (or flats) and Pyramid flats and can offer a comparison of the string tension between the two brands? I tried the TI strings a few times and liked everything about them except the string tension which for me was just way too loose to get used to. Both brands are expensive enough that I am reluctant to experiment myself but I have been curious about the Pyramid strings for a long time.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2016, 01:24:40 PM »
I'll have you an apples-to-apples firsthand account in a couple days Stephen... my first impression was that the Pyramids are a *little* higher tension, but not much.

keith_h

• club
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2016, 01:31:46 PM »

So I'm wondering now, about trying them either on my Persuader 5-string, or maybe on the new Custom Fretless. The Pyramids are only marginally cheaper, for what it's worth, price alone is not enough difference to be a deal-breaker.

I can't offer much on the Pyramids but on my fretless I went with D'Addario Chromes which are a flat wound string. They are pretty high tension so if you prefer slinky strings they might not be for you. I like them as not only are they good for the fretless mwah and growl but are also bright enough to get a decent slap tone. Just throwing it out there as a set  won't max out the card. 

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2016, 01:40:49 PM »
I've currently got a set of the Chromes on my Signature 5'er, as well.  Love 'em.
I used to think I was indecisive, but now I'm not so sure.

xlrogue6

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2016, 02:00:06 PM »
Got Chromes on my fretless Rogue 6, they sound and feel great.

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2016, 03:56:01 PM »
Thanks Gregory! Definitely interested in a higher tension string than the TI. Sounds like you will have your new bass in your hands soon, must be exciting!

Have always heard good things about the Chromes.

edwin

• club
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2016, 12:41:15 AM »
Has anyone tried both the TI jazz rounds (or flats) and Pyramid flats and can offer a comparison of the string tension between the two brands? I tried the TI strings a few times and liked everything about them except the string tension which for me was just way too loose to get used to. Both brands are expensive enough that I am reluctant to experiment myself but I have been curious about the Pyramid strings for a long time.

I've used both on my Starfire. I was a long time T-I user. The Pyramids are definitely higher tension and, I think, higher mass. There's definitely more to dig in to. They aren't high tension like the classic La Bella's, etc., but not nearly as floppy as the T-I's. If you come by the Starry Plough on Saturday, you can try my basses.

StephenR

• club
    • CRYPTICAL
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2016, 08:08:27 AM »
Hey Edwin

Jen and I are definitely planning on stopping by tomorrow night. After I posted my question I realized that you would have the Modulus with the Pyramid strings with you. Guess you must have been able to pick up the Starfire yesterday. Have fun in Santa Cruz and see you tomorrow!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #13 on: October 22, 2016, 05:25:31 AM »
Just to follow up, I tried these on my Persuader, but they just didn't do it for me... I gave 'em a few hours of play-in over the past week to see if they grew on me, but no dice.

The good and the not-so-good; 

For starters, the G and D strings were nice and bright, I liked that to the point it was usable, but the E & B strings lacked the definition I like. Perhaps weirdly, the A string was the only one that sounded and felt 'right' to me. I can't help but imagine this is an intentional curve that one could get used to, and even prefer, but it's the opposite of what I like to hear. To me, TI's are a bit more dull on the treble side, and more focused on the bass end. The higher tension wasn't a problem, but the balance felt off. (in the sense that this string felt 'tighter' than that one at pitch)

I love the windings on these Pyramids... nice and uniform, easy to install. You have to be darn careful clipping and winding TI's or you could have a $135 slinky toy.

Oddly, the 4-string set of Pyramids I tried on my Distillate a while back left an altogether different opinion... I guess maybe the AXY's 'hear' them differently than the P/J activators on my Persuader? Both are 32" scale... yeah, I dunno on that. I may put them back on the Distillate. (another nice thing about Alembics - swapping strings is a five-minute job)

So ultimately, these didn't work out as well as I'd hoped. For now, I put them on a long-scale Tobias that desperately needed some new strings, and it actually seems to like them better. Same bias characteristics, but a better fit for that bass.

Guess I'm just a TI guy... anybody know how to score a string endorsement?  ;D
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 05:27:02 AM by edwardofhuncote »

rv_bass

• club
« Reply #14 on: October 22, 2016, 02:18:25 PM »
Greg,

$135 for TIs seems too much, here they are $73

http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/thjaniflworo.html
« Last Edit: October 22, 2016, 07:24:22 PM by rv_bass »