Author Topic: LIve Fire Exercise  (Read 3356 times)

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #75 on: September 27, 2015, 07:56:32 AM »
No sweat Ed_Zep... this thread was kinda' history until Joey popped in. I just used it to think out loud for the past year trying to figure out what *my* signature Alembic should be. One of Joey's Alembics was a heavy influence on that. Eventually Mica will start an FTC (factory-to-customer) thread on my build.  

*I used to use TI Spirocores, but got hooked on Pirastro Obligato strings about a decade ago. They are just a tad more flexible than the TI's, but still got enough presence to hang in a mix when played pizz. They are also outrageously expensive enough that I don't change them until absolutely necessary. (i.e.- broke or about to break)

bigredbass

• club
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #76 on: September 30, 2015, 12:02:28 AM »
A LOT of fiddle players here swear by Pirastro or Savarez.  Pirastros are one of the few things on par or better for some than the mighty TI's.

I always complain about the cost of strings vs. guitar players.  When I think about what a good upright set runs, I shut the hell up.

Joey

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #77 on: September 30, 2015, 06:20:58 AM »
Well, I got the heads-up email from the Head Elf yesterday evening... sometime tomorrow, we're to iron out the first set of critical details, as they are apparently ready to start the build. Terribly exciting!

I guess I've read every build thread on this forum over the past few months, and mine will pale in comparison to some of the unbelievable works they've turned out. The beauty (in the eye of this beholder at least) is in the deliberately simple, classic design. Some might even say spartan by current Alembic standards.  

Thanks Again to All here. I couldn't, and probably wouldn't have done it without your advice.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Live Fire Exercise
« Reply #78 on: September 19, 2016, 08:20:03 AM »
Just *had* to dig up my old "Dreaming" thread for this one...

I had this incredibly vivid nightmare the other morning, one of those where I had to get up and walk around a minute to make sure it wasn't real... for the moment I'm blaming it on the midnight helping of raspberry sherbet the night before. So, I dreamed this new Alembic came... and it was PURPLE. Not just any purple either... it was metallic purple SPARKLE. Oh, and that ain't all... there were matching (well, of course!) purple LEDs. Not done yet... it was a reversed Exploiter body with tummy and elbow contours. I'm still not sure what the headstock pattern was, as I woke up in shock before I had a good look, thinking, this has gotta' be one of Mica's April Fools jokes.  :o On the other hand, I do believe it did have either Series or Anniversary electronics.  ;D

Looking back through the thread, not much has really changed since finally settling on the specs... I have it on good authority the Dream bass is well on it's way to completion, but I've mostly been keeping it filed out of mind. Surprisingly, it hasn't been all that hard, since I'm fortunate enough to have both the trusty old Persuader as #1, and an older Distillate ridin' shotgun most weekends. That Distillate, I was telling Mica, did cause me to rethink the original plan to nix the brass sustain block, so we went ahead with that after all.

Nah... it'll be here when it gets here, and meantime it's fun hangin' out here in the waiting room with you guys anyway.  ;)

Remember kids - stay outta' the freezer section.  8)

tbrannon

• club
Re: LIve Fire Exercise
« Reply #79 on: September 19, 2016, 10:28:11 AM »
Purple sparkles sounds pretty good to me!!! I'm one of those who think Alembics done in color are the ultimate!   

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #80 on: September 19, 2016, 11:14:57 AM »
Purple sparkles sounds pretty good to me!!! I'm one of those who think Alembics done in color are the ultimate!   

No judgements Toby, just not what I was expecting that magical case-opening moment to be like! ;D

David Houck

• club
« Reply #81 on: September 20, 2016, 02:43:13 PM »
Hmmm ... that experimental April Featured Custom mind control thing we were working on must have gone off by accident.

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #82 on: September 20, 2016, 04:22:20 PM »
What's the wait time on a custom dream?
I'd be willing to take extra naps if that helps  :P

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #83 on: September 21, 2016, 06:44:18 AM »
What's the wait time on a custom dream?
I'd be willing to take extra naps if that helps  :P

Well, it varies from order to order, but generally delivery is about 5 hours after you eat something wacky right before bed, then lay awake browsing this forum. ;D

keith_h

• club
« Reply #84 on: September 21, 2016, 08:11:31 AM »
I can only imagine what it would have looked like if you had been watching Barney the Dinosaur instead of eating sherbet.