Author Topic: Hey Y'al!  (Read 520 times)

guyzo

• club
  • I'm New Here
Hey Y'al!
« on: July 07, 2016, 04:03:13 AM »
Hey y'all! Nice to finally be an active member here, after reading these forums for years, and playing alembics since 1980.
I ve had a few of them over the years, starting with a used 77-78 series I, back in early 1981 that had the strap holders replaced with eye screws! But I was hooked! That one was stolen out of my car after a gig at a houseparty...Downer...

18months later an uncle of mine had a fretless omega cut series I made for me(with a hummingbird inlaid at the twelfth fret zone and rosewood fret lines)a sweet bass to be sure, although I must confess that in hindsight I wish I had been more familiar with just what the Creators could do with a bass!
Found a used 8-string series I at guitar center back in '86 for $800, and snatched that right up..bought two spoilers from Rudy's shop in new york in '87-88..ended up selling all three of those ¿:~(

Then in '92, playing the role of complete blithering idiot, i pawned the fretless and lost it...that was the worst gear f%¥£ up of my life!

In 1997 i bought a used '82 fretless series I with white fretline inlays..that one was stolen from my house, three weeks later, when i was in L.A. for my father's triple bypass surgery..a week or two later the registration form shows up in the mail..DOH!

In 2000 or so i became the third owner of a '77 fretted series I, which, thankfully, i still have.

Perhaps most amazing though, is that back in the summer of 2012 while perusing ebay alembics i happened upon the header"'82 custom series I fretless bass with omega body shape" NO WAY!!! I clicked on it and there it was!
After twenty years i was once again looking at The Bass! I called up Chris(the guy on ebay with like 8 pages of guitars down in san diego) barely contained, "dude! I m the guy that bass was made for!" Alas, i didnt have the 5K he was asking, so i watched it, going quietly insane seeing it for sale but unable to buy it meself..then in october i asked him if he would hold it til december, to which he agreed!
Whoo hoo!
 During the wait, that bass would show up in my dreams...just on a stand in the corner or hanging on the wall in a music store...then the day finally arrived, i drove down there, knocked on the door...he brought out the case..i swear, opening that case was like opening the briefcase in pulp fiction!
 Angels were singing, the clouds parted..you get the drift..to hold it once again in my hands was something i had given up hope for, but there it was!
 It sits in a stand before me as i type this!

That is the story of my bass redemption!

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
Re: Hey Y'al!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2016, 04:55:20 AM »
Welcome, and Congratulations on getting your bass back. What a great story!

hammer

• club
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2016, 05:18:55 AM »
Wonderful story! So sorry about your past bad luck with thieves but glad to hear good karma eventually came your way.

gearhed289

• club
    • Nomadic
« Reply #3 on: July 07, 2016, 08:27:38 AM »
Great stories man. Keep an eye on those Alembics!

guyzo

• club
  • I'm New Here
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2016, 02:32:18 PM »
Believe me, after finding the '82 custom, I'm always looking for the two stolen series I's!
But yeah, I still have a hard time fathoming how I got that bass back! I was sure I'd never see it again. I nearly had a heart attack when I first saw it. The seller, Chris(almost always has at least one alembic up on eBay at any given time, the ones where the pics are taken on his front lawn) was great and very understanding, and I can't thank him enough for his role!