Author Topic: Help with guitar  (Read 682 times)

Roddark

• I'm New Here
    • Melodyvision
Help with guitar
« on: July 02, 2016, 05:35:36 PM »
Hi everyone, my name is Rodney, I am a composer, producer and filmmaker, I am also a life long guitarist. I am helping out a little old lady. She has an Alembic guitar that looks like an explorer and has a rosewood neck. The Sr# is 84E3220. No one seams to know what it's worth. Andy ideas? I have up loaded a photo. I have to say it is one of the sweetest guitars I have ever played.

Thanks
Rod 8) :D
Rod

elwoodblue

• club
Re: Help with guitar
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2016, 06:10:33 PM »
Hi Rodney,
 The guitar is a 1984 Exploiter shaped *Electrum (* Thanks Bill!) with a cone headstock.
The fingerboard looks like ebony (most are).
I would think 2500 would be a good starting point for a sale, and consider
less if time was a factor.
 I don't have a bluebook, someone here might.
They are nice, eh? ;D

p.s. Here's a similar guitar that didn't sell at around 3600
« Last Edit: July 02, 2016, 10:33:32 PM by elwoodblue »

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2016, 08:47:44 PM »
Actually, according to the serial number, this is an 1984 Electrum.  Alembic allows one to customize just about anything and this one does, indeed, have an Exploiter-shaped body.  It also appears to have an elborate tremolo, similar to a Floyd Rose.  Given the low quality of the photo, I can't tell if it appears stock or aftermarket.  Unless you run into someone who really wants the tremolo, it will likely make the guitar a little more difficult to sell.  I think in the $2000-2500 range is not unreasonable.  When it comes to Alembics both the Blue Book and the Vintage Guitar Guide are essentially useless.

Bill, the guitar one

Roddark

• I'm New Here
    • Melodyvision
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2016, 03:54:25 AM »
Thanks Everyone
This is very helpful

Thanks
Rod
Rod

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2016, 02:11:08 PM »
Kramer Kahler tremolo? They were an alternative to the Floyd Rose back in the '80s.

Sweet guitar!
« Last Edit: July 03, 2016, 02:25:17 PM by hieronymous »

rnolan

« Reply #5 on: July 06, 2016, 07:33:44 AM »
Hey Rod, well as another life long guitarist, I'd be keeping that one, it's gorgeous, and that's not a shape I'd usually like.  It looks like a Kahler trem to me also hieronymous, they weren't too shabby, also doesn't look like a retrofit.