Author Topic: 77 Long Scale - What a long strange trip it's been...  (Read 664 times)

dsimms

• I'm New Here
    • Crossroads Band
77 Long Scale - What a long strange trip it's been...
« on: May 15, 2016, 12:35:54 PM »
New to the club, but not this Long Scale.  I first bought it used from a college professor in Philadelphia around 1982/83.  It had been modified and still bears those scars... the bottom point was cut off, with that part refinished, it looks to have been converted to a lefty at some point, then back to normal (the strap points had been moved and the bridge regrooved), and the pickup selector moved closer to the controls.  I gave it to my wife (at the time) since she played bass and I played mostly guitar.  We divorced and she kept the bass.  Sadly, she died two years ago and I had no idea what happened to the bass.  Last week, I was stunned when her family told me they had cleaned out the house and wanted to return it to me.  I got it last weekend after nearly 30 years.  It didn't include the power supply and cable, but I'm so thrilled to have the bass and can replace those. This has been sitting in it's case for at least the last ten years.  It has a good bit of finish checking but the electronics check out and there was no battery leakage when I replaced the old ones. The third fret inlay is gone.  After all that time, is was still holding nearly perfect tune.  I'm going to have my guitar tech go over it/clean up/oil the fretboard/restring and check the setup this week.  I used to put Rotosounds on it, but don't remember the gauge so I'm thinking their 66 set will work.

I play lead/rhythm guitar in a dance/rock band in Montgomery, AL (www.crossroadsbandrocks.com).  I use an Axe FX/Atomic CLR rig and will play this bass through that while I'm building my bass chops.

Glad to be here and back in Alembic land!

Here are some pics...

« Last Edit: May 16, 2016, 06:34:58 AM by dsimms »

growlypants

• club
  • Advanced Member
Re: 77 Long Scale - What a long strange trip it's been...
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2016, 03:58:14 PM »
Welcome to the club!  I saw my very first Alembic bass at a store in Philly,  (8th St. Music, I think it was called) somewhere around that time frame, never forgot it, and then saw AND BOUGHT the very next Alembic bass I'd seen since that one.  Memories...

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • Chain-Links
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2016, 12:53:22 PM »
Welcome to the coolest corner of the internet!

I did a double take when I saw your bass... in a strange twist, a similar fate befell #77-934. It was a left-handed Series I that (sort of) got converted to a right-hand player. I'd given serious thought to buying what was left of it for a rescue/restoration project. Pictures in this thread. Make sure you're sitting down.   

http://club.alembic.com/index.php?topic=10549.0

dsimms

• I'm New Here
    • Crossroads Band
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2016, 08:47:52 AM »
Welcome to the coolest corner of the internet!

I did a double take when I saw your bass... in a strange twist, a similar fate befell #77-934. It was a left-handed Series I that (sort of) got converted to a right-hand player. I'd given serious thought to buying what was left of it for a rescue/restoration project. Pictures in this thread. Make sure you're sitting down.   

http://club.alembic.com/index.php?topic=10549.0

Wow, that's quite the Frankenstein.  Like making a homemade 911 convertible with a chainsaw instead of getting the Cabriolet. That serial number is very close to mine! And it does look like they tried moving the controls over to the other side or moving the wings around to make it a lefty.   I'm amazed at how someone could have done some of these mods to mine - cutting off the point, drilling various holes for the strap mounts, etc, especially since it was so new before I got it in '82/83.  I guess they were interested in it as a player, not a work of art as well.  I look at these as both and want to restore this at some point.  Fortunately none of the mods affect it's playability and I think I like the pickup selector closer to the other controls, although I'll have that countersunk as well when refinished.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2016, 08:51:49 AM by dsimms »