Author Topic: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO NOW?  (Read 37976 times)

slawie

• club
Re: WHAT ARE YOU LISTENING TO NOW?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2014, 09:46:38 PM »
“Commitment is what transforms a promise into reality.”
Abraham Lincoln

peoplechipper

• club
« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2014, 10:18:44 PM »
A lot of Meat Puppets recently; the albums since Chris got clean are their best(last 3) but all the stuff is good; one of America's best bands ever...Tony

edwin

• club
« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2014, 07:35:43 PM »
The ecstatic giggles of Xander, who is now 22 1/2 months old. And loooooooves music.

The last album I listened to was an experimental Nels Cline trio record from his pre-Wilco days.  
I've also been listening to a lot of baroque music, usually from Venice Classic Radio online.
But most of the time when I'm listening to music these days is in the context of transferring a huge backlog of DAT tapes of old bands, etc., to hard drives. It's interesting to go back to stuff you did 20+ years ago. I'm thinking of compiling my soundscapes and putting an album up on iTunes. I'll probably sell ones of copies!

Now that you mention it, Tony, I should check out the newer Meat Puppets. It's been on my list of things to do.

JuancarlinBass

• club
  • Advanced Member
  • I thought I would not put anything in here...
« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2014, 09:09:47 PM »
It is absolutely nice to read this, Edwin!. May you listen to Xander?s giggles and laughs for many, many years to come!!!

hammer

• club
« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2014, 10:08:49 PM »
Edwin.  

With Xander approaching two years of age you're heading toward Raffi territory (if you're not there already) and a load of other child oriented singers like him. Resist going in that direction if at all possible. If you fail to heed my warning you'll soon be finding out that it's almost impossible to get the simple rhythms and lyrics to songs like Baby Beluga out of your head even if your in the middle of the jam section of Dark Star

edwin

• club
« Reply #35 on: April 20, 2014, 03:25:10 AM »
Uh oh. I've never heard of Raffi. I will be wary. Xander does have an affinity to for a bunch of songs on Youtube, especially if there is a school bus involved. But, we limit him to one 2 or 3 minute video a day, so it's not too pervasive, despite how nauseating some of the singers are.   I will say that Xander sings a lot. I keep trying to record him, but he gets distracted by me and stops. He makes up songs endlessly. And he can sing all the way through the ABCs! . A few days ago, we had a bass and conga drum jam. So, lots of excellent music going on here these days. The cheesy stuff is held to a minimum.  Oh yes, he also discovered the piano a couple of weeks ago when we were visiting my parents. He and his cousins started all playing at once. One cousin just played one note over and over and the other cousin banged out some random stuff and got bored, but Xander really started to explore the melodic possibilities. You could hear him really listening to what he was playing and experimenting with it. I was pretty amazed, given that his cousins are 5 and 7 years older than him.  

elwoodblue

• club
« Reply #36 on: April 20, 2014, 03:45:42 AM »
I see he likes the low notes !!

Thanks for the pics Edwin.

(listening to 'My life in the bush of ghosts' now)

JuancarlinBass

• club
  • Advanced Member
  • I thought I would not put anything in here...
« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2014, 08:54:21 AM »
The only school bus song I?ve ever listened to... and I think there would be no more after this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vD_72U0b_2g

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #38 on: April 20, 2014, 10:23:59 AM »
Edwin:

You might want to check out Burl Ives' old records, if you can find them.  Great, intelligent, kid music without the unhealthy dose of sugar common to more modern kid music (i.e. Raffi, Barney, etc.).

Bill, tgo

edwin

• club
« Reply #39 on: April 20, 2014, 10:41:40 AM »
Great idea, Bill! Also Pete Seeger, Arlo (it might be time for the Motorcycle Song) and others have excellent kids tunes. A friend of mine made an album about 15 years ago called Kids Are Funky People, Too, which I should dig out.

I love My Life In The Bush of Ghosts! Hugely influential to me in the 80s.

lbpesq

• club
« Reply #40 on: April 20, 2014, 04:19:46 PM »
Also The Baby Tree from Blows Against The Empire, one of my favorite sleeper albums.  (The Burl Ives tunes are some of my favorites I listened to as a little kid.  I still remember a lot of them more than 50 years later. (OMG, did I actually just write that!!??)

Bill, tgo

piotr_c

« Reply #41 on: April 20, 2014, 05:05:41 PM »
Ibrahim Maalouf, albums Wind & Dignostic.... Superb mellow jazz with a taste of oriental flavour.

Otherwise Scott Henderson, in whatever formation, always...

cozmik_cowboy

• club
« Reply #42 on: April 20, 2014, 09:43:27 PM »
And of course, Edwin, don't forget Not For Kids Only by Garcia-Grisman Band!

Peter (whose soul was saved at age nine by a college girl who rented a room from his Mantovani-loving parents and brought her Burl Ives and Peter, Paul & Mary records along)
"Don't take life so serious; it ain't no ways permanent"

Pogo

pauldo

• club
  • What chaos . . . ?
« Reply #43 on: April 21, 2014, 02:01:54 PM »
Got Jaco's new release - Modern American Music . . . Period! The Criteria Sessions.
Great disc.

Previously unreleased material including an isolated bass track of Donna Lee.  Proving once and for all it ain't bragging if you can back it up!
1984 Distillate Zebrawood

moonliner

• club
  • Advanced Member
« Reply #44 on: April 23, 2014, 02:40:56 AM »
After reading Gregg Allman's book I went deep into the Allman Brothers. Berry Oakley is one of the masters.  
I'm going to do a concert in August where we play all of Live At The Filmore. I'm tempted to put a 'Tractor' together.... unless my Alembicized Starfire is ready :-)