Author Topic: Who's your "Dream Dummer" for your style of bass playing?  (Read 1448 times)

David Houck

• club
Re: Who's your
« Reply #105 on: February 20, 2018, 10:35:12 AM »
... Peter (who obviously got halfway down Page 1 before realizing it was a necro thread.....)

LOL!!

dead_head

• club
  • Advanced Member
Re: Who's your \
« Reply #106 on: February 20, 2018, 12:56:46 PM »
Peter (who obviously got halfway down Page 1 before realizing it was a necro thread.....)

I did the same thing! (lol)

hieronymous

• club
    • hieronymous on soundcloud
« Reply #107 on: February 20, 2018, 04:37:59 PM »
I wish I had stopped reading when I realized it was raised from the dead - unfortunately I kept reading and picked up on some old bad vibes, at which point I stopped reading...

The recent posts were nice though!

I realize that what I really need is a drummer who plays in the pocket and who listens. That's not too much to ask, is it?  :o

gearhed289

• club
  • Advanced Member
    • Nomadic
« Reply #108 on: February 21, 2018, 07:39:03 AM »
70s Bill Bruford.

edwardofhuncote

• club
  • What Would McVie Play?
« Reply #109 on: February 21, 2018, 08:44:43 AM »
At the moment, I don't have a bass playing style.  Recent evidence suggests that if I keep practicing everyday, perhaps I might have one in another year or two, or three, or some other significant period of time.

I really enjoyed Dave's post here.  :)

My bluegrass and oldtyme roots were drum-less, but I've been lucky enough to play with a couple really good drummers along the way. My favorite (if I had to pick one) is a horn player who has double duty in our Christmas Band as a percussionist. He and I are always staged right next to each other, and man, that really helps me... the rest of the band is so far apart that it can be disorienting until the monitors get right.

In this day and time, the cajon is slowly becoming accepted into some traditional music circles too. One of our sidebar groups uses one, and the gal that plays it is like a sister to me. She's also a really good bass player, so we have a very similar sense of timing and where the downbeat is. The lock-in is just as strong as with having a good drummer, from my perspective at least. The other guys in the band often wonder what we're grinning about back there, but the truth is, we're just having so much fun that it's hard not to.  :) 

Note proximity of the bass player to the 'drummer' in this jam scenario: (yeah, that's us)  ;D

*If there was a parenthetical point to my rambling post here, it's that playing with good drummers has helped me to better understand what my 'style' is. 

« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 12:55:46 PM by edwardofhuncote »

jwright9

• Advanced Member
« Reply #110 on: February 21, 2018, 03:31:20 PM »
« Last Edit: February 21, 2018, 03:33:34 PM by jwright9 »

David Houck

• club
« Reply #111 on: February 21, 2018, 07:13:23 PM »
That's a very nice picture of the jam, Gregory.

eddieg

• club
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2018, 08:46:03 PM »
Definitely Dennis Chambers...Jack !!!!